Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My Big Surprise of the Day! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-big-surprise-day-t63700.html)

Gerbie 09-08-2010 10:45 AM

I need to set this story up first, so bear with me please. I was talking to my brother on the phone yesterday, we live 200 miles from each other, and he knows I am into quilting, which I was doing at the time he called. Somehow the subject of other machines came up and I mentioned to him to keep an eye out for old machines. He wanted to know what type I was interested in, I thought yeah like you are really interested, but I was nice lol. (There is just the two of us, we had no other siblings, and we are extremely close, both of our parents are deceased.) I mentioned I really wanted to find a Treadle to use the cabinet to put mother's old machine in. It was a treadle to begin with and she added a motor to it in later years. This particular machine was purchased in early 1941 before my brother was born. He is the oldest. I really didn't expect him to ever give this a second thought.
Well Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, this morning when I was getting out of the shower, I heard the phone ring but missed the call and noticed it was from my brother. I called him back and he said I had just missed the most important phone call of the day, not unusual for him to make such remarks. Anyway now to the surprise, he said he had found me a Treadle cabinet. He asked me if $100 was too much to pay for one. I said I guess not, because I really wanted one and he said had found me one and he thought there was a machine in the cabinet, but he had not yet checked. He remembered a neighbor having an old Treadle cabinet that had sat out in the weather for a long time. He went over to see if he could buy it. When he asked if it was for sale and how much they wanted for it, the neighbor said because it was him if he wanted it he could just have it to get it out of the yard. He is such a big tease. All I have to do is go and get it, well, luckily we had already planned on going over there this Fri. and will be spending the night with him, so I will be able to get it then. I have no idea what shape it really is in, or even if there is a machine in the cabinet, but with refinishing and possibly a small amout of wood repair, I have a Treadle cabinet and maybe a machine in it. Sorry for the long story, but I just had to share this with everyone. I am really excited and can hardly wait until Fri.

mrspete 09-08-2010 10:47 AM

Now that is worth sharing, thanks Gerbie. Congrats!

Blessings,
Ruth

M.E.H. 09-08-2010 10:49 AM

WOW! It sounds like this is your lucky day. Hope to see pictures soon.

sweet 09-08-2010 10:57 AM

That's Great! I hope it works out for you!

Jim's Gem 09-08-2010 11:02 AM

That's really cool!! I hope it is in good enough shape to fix it up!!!

sewmuchmore 09-08-2010 11:06 AM

Wow that is wonderful surprise, aren't brothers awesome. :thumbup:

SueDor 09-08-2010 11:39 AM

That is so wonderful. Give your brother a big hug.

CAKELSEY 09-08-2010 11:46 AM

That's great Gerbie. Maybe he'll have it all cleaned up for you too.

deltadawn 09-08-2010 12:03 PM

lovely

Ms Grace 09-08-2010 12:06 PM

That's Great!
What a nice surprise and a very sweet brother.