Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My collection inventory (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-collection-inventory-t256992.html)

Dotte 11-18-2014 07:44 AM

My collection inventory

I thought I would share my method of keeping track of all my babies. I have thirteen now and my DH says no more until I give away some more of my machines. People give me machines to cleanup and refurbish and I find homes for them with new families that will love and use them. However, I have my own that I would not part such as my FW or my Pfaff 297. I have some treasures.

I keep a large index card on each SM that I have or that is given to me. On the front of card I record the following: Date received, purchase price if any, how I obtained the machine, M#, S#, Brand, Throat measurement, bobbin type, needle type, bulb type and what arrived with the machine as far as attachments, manual etc. I also take pictures as I clean up the machines.

On the back of the card I record what I find wrong with the machine, what I repaired, any costs of parts, my wish list of items that would be great to have for the machine (i.e., darning plate, etc.), the date I last serviced the machine and where I sent the machine if I adopt it out to someone else to love.

My computer is not in the same room as my sewing/craft room. I can keep these cards by my computer and know at a glance if I find a bargain on line, whether I need it or not.

This works great for me and I don't have to keep going back to my machine and looking at it. I have picture and info right at hand.:thumbup:

Champanier 11-18-2014 08:13 AM

This is really helpful! I've just been thinking that I need to do this before I forget and you have some ideas I wouldn't have thought to include. I'm also going to record the name and address of the previous owner(s) along with any history of the machine that they shared.

Thanks!

J Miller 11-18-2014 08:18 AM

I have a sheet on 8.5" x 11" paper that I use.

At at 60+ machines if my wife said I couldn't have any more unless I got rid of some ........... I'd be tempted to get rid of hers ....... HE HE HE :D .

Joe

tessagin 11-18-2014 08:23 AM

Unless 2 is a collection, I do have all the information and photos in regards to my machine and where I purchased them such as my Singer 2662 I purchased at the local Singer Sewing Center and my 401 at an estate sale with the address included and who owned it. Photos also included and attachments that came with it. I keep this nearby in a binder because I also have the manuals in there at easy reach/reference!

Candace 11-18-2014 08:59 AM

It's such a good idea to keep an inventory and history, like you do. Will I do it? Nah....but I can dream:>

Champanier 11-18-2014 10:13 AM

Dotte,

Do you mind if I use your basic information and add to it to make a spreadsheet for sewing machine inventory? You've inspired me! But, like Candace, this may remain a dream...

Thanks,
Linda

Mrs. SewNSew 11-18-2014 01:19 PM

I do pretty close to the same thing only on my laptop. I have folders for each machine with photos before after and documenting repairs. I keep a text document with the Model#, Serial#, where purchased, for how much etc.

Those folders are separated into larger groups the "Herd" (mine), the "Hoard" (waiting for repair), Rehomed, etc..

I just recently started making up 3 x 5 cards for the machines as well to keep with them telling which way the needle goes, which way to thread, what shank feet, needle type and thread type. That comes in handy if I want a quick reminder and is also helpful for people who might adopt a machine. I see far too many machines abandoned at the thrifts and the dump that have the wrong bobbins and wonder if the owner couldn't get it to stitch right because tehy weren't aware the bobbin type makes a difference.

Champanier 11-18-2014 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 6974524)
Those folders are separated into larger groups the "Herd" (mine), the "Hoard" (waiting for repair), Rehomed, etc..

I just recently started making up 3 x 5 cards for the machines as well to keep with them telling which way the needle goes, which way to thread, what shank feet, needle type and thread type.

First, I love the distinction between the Herd and the Hoard!

Second, is there a resource that shows (or describes) the different shanks and what to call them? I found high shank, low shank, slant shank, but I want to know what to call the ones that go straight up vs. wrap around from the side vs. go around a vertical shaft horizontally vs. having a hole to insert the shaft and so on. I know I've seen people refer to the kind of shank in ways that made sense when I read them, but I don't remember the terms that were used to describe them. I've been searching online, but haven't hit the right search terms, I guess.

jmabby 11-18-2014 06:37 PM

I collect the same info, but I kept misplacing the cards. I finally came to the conclusion for me a 3 ring binder was the way to go. I find it surprising on how much time and money is spent on each machine. Each SM has her own page, her name matches the previous owner's name or town where she came from. I have been having a hard time cleaning, repairing machines and trying to get quilting done. How do you gals do it??

redmadder 11-19-2014 08:52 AM

I use a spreadsheet on the computer, print it out, then keep track of changes on the sheet, now and then I update the computer spreadsheet.