Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My dilemma... any ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-dilemma-any-ideas-t231995.html)

Gretchen 10-07-2013 08:04 PM

My dilemma... any ideas?

So Saturday I went to an estate sale - they advertised a vintage machine..... all they showed was a picture of the Bentwood case so I had no idea what the machine looked like. When I found the machine the lid was hooked on one side but not the side with the lock (key was attached!)... Got a quick look at the machine looked pretty nice but it was so hot an crowded I figured I'd get a good look outside ... my dilemma - I can not get the side with the locking mechanism to release from the bottom. I have the lock in the "unlocked" mode as I can lift the case up about 1/4" and can see the lock mechanism moving ... any ideas or suggestions - don't want to ruin the case but I'm dying to get a better look at the machine and see what I got! Thanks!

Vridar 10-07-2013 08:19 PM

There are two different ways the non-keyed side works. One has an "ell" type hook. This one you have to tilt the keyed end up to slip the "ell" out of the slot it hooks into. The other type you slide thee top towards the keyed side and lift. This one has a "tee" type hook slipped in a slot. After sliding the top can be lifted straight up. Clear, right?

Gretchen 10-08-2013 01:35 PM

Thanks Ron - Honestly don't know how but I did get the top off! Of course it happened as I was getting ready to put it on the floor - fortunately I caught it before it fell!! LOL!!! Now for the fun part - researching to see what I actually purchased!!

Jennifer23 10-08-2013 01:53 PM

I'm glad you got it open - now post pictures! Some people here will probably be able to tell you what it is, others (like me) just want to ogle. Either way, pictures are good. :)

Gretchen 10-08-2013 04:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK and the winner is! .. Serial Number AK950690, dated 5/26/1954, Series 15, and there were 50,000 produced! Now to try and determine the exact model!:D

Jeanette Frantz 10-08-2013 05:28 PM

Gretchen,

Your machine is beautiful! Congratulations!

Jeanette Frantz

Jennifer23 10-08-2013 05:35 PM

So pretty - congratulations! It looks like a 15-91 (potted motor) to me. And, is that a Featherweight hiding in the background? I'm very envious of your sewing room!

Redsquirrel 10-08-2013 05:38 PM

nice 15-91. Its a beauty.

Gretchen 10-08-2013 08:18 PM

[So pretty - congratulations! It looks like a 15-91 (potted motor) to me. And, is that a Featherweight hiding in the background? I'm very envious of your sewing room!]

Thanks Jen! I was thinking it was a 15-91 too.... and yes that is a my featherweight! Just love that lil' machine!!

Gretchen 10-08-2013 08:22 PM

Thanks Jeanette and Redsquirrel! I was beginning to think that I was never going to see what was hiding in that case!! LOL!!