Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My great-grandma's machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-great-grandmas-machine-t272747.html)

Sewnoma 11-28-2015 08:45 AM

My great-grandma's machine

2 Attachment(s)
My cousin unearthed our great-grandmother's sewing machine!

These are the only two shots I have:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536618[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536619[/ATTACH]

I think that says White Family Rotary, yes? I haven't done my homework on it yet, and I don't have the serial number, unfortunately.

My cousin knows zero about sewing machines so he didn't even test to see if it moves but I think there's a good chance the machine itself will be in pretty useful condition. I think it may have sat unused since the mid 50's though, so probably needs some TLC.

I know the front of that cabinet opens up and I THINK there might be some feet and stuff in the door of it, but I'm not sure and cousin didn't check. Next time I'm out there I'll have to see if I can get it running. :)

Stitchnripper 11-28-2015 09:11 AM

That is so cool! What a treasure!!!!

tessagin 11-28-2015 09:14 AM

Oh to have something so dear that belonged to my grandmother. Thinking how excited she was to get it, brand new!! I'm seeing happy faces!

Macybaby 11-28-2015 01:21 PM

Wow - what a find! My mom's early machine was a White Rotary also, but probably a bit newer than that one. I think it's from the 40's.

BTW - if you don't find the wood cover that goes in front of the machine, I may have one. Measure the opening and PM me and I'll see if the one I have is the correct size. I got it in with a lot of other stuff, so I'll be happy to find it a home!

maviskw 11-29-2015 07:16 AM

My cousins have their mother's treadle machine as well as our grandmother's treadle. I'm so happy that they are taking care of them. MaryAnn has one in the dining area of her cabin "up north".

Mickey2 11-29-2015 07:43 AM

Looks like a lovely machine, and I like the table a lot too. If you get it up and running you have to let us know how it sews. I have been looking at the White Rotary machines with interest for a while. On youtube videos they sound a bit noisy and maybe it's because of the pulley motor? I don't know, I'm just sort of thinking out lound; but there are treadle version and I wondered if it was possible to fit on a belt driven motor? If I'm correct it has the vertical bobbin case you take out and insert the bobbin in, and it's suppose to be very smooth and perfect stitching going by a few blog descriptions on the web. Anyone who has hands-on experience with this type of machine?

Sewnoma 11-30-2015 01:19 PM

I don't live anywhere near this machine, unfortunately, so I don't know when I'll see it next. I'll be sure to post all about it when I do, though!

It lives in a cabin my grandpa built down in So. Cal near where I grew up, but I don't have any family down there really anymore, so not much to draw me down there. I might hitch along with my cousin some time though, he goes down there a couple times a year. :)

PatriciaPf 01-21-2016 08:17 PM

I have a machine almost like this one; the serial number is on the plate at the base of the machine on the right side.

Tink's Mom 01-23-2016 03:54 PM

That is a lovely machine, especially since it belonged to Grandma.