Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My mom gave this to me... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-mom-gave-me-t84300.html)

RkayD 12-21-2010 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this summer. I have had it open twice. She bought it at a garage sale years ago and never had it open at all. The lady told her it works. I'm going to try and clean it and plug it in and see what happens. Isn't she beautiful and so very graceful?

pab 12-21-2010 08:28 AM

Lucky girl! looks like a beauty and just needs cleaning and oil.Good luck starting her up. pab

Prism99 12-21-2010 08:30 AM

I learned to sew on that model of Singer and loved the machine.

quiltsillysandi 12-21-2010 08:31 AM

What a lady!! She's gorgeous...!

gramabiese 12-21-2010 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by RkayD
this summer. I have had it open twice. She bought it at a garage sale years ago and never had it open at all. The lady told her it works. I'm going to try and clean it and plug it in and see what happens. Isn't she beautiful and so very graceful?

You are so lucky and fortunate to be thought of so kindly. My dear MIL has a Singer she bought in 1946 after she married, it has a motor on it and she sewed numerous items over the years. I asked if I could buy it as it is sitting in her back room covered with junk. She said no, one of the daughters wants the cabinet to use for a flower planter and I don't know what I will do with the machine, perhaps give it to one of the granddaughters. But not you. I feel sad as the cabinet is in pristeen condition and they don't make them like that anymore. So I dwell in the fact that your mom thinks so much of you, congratulations.

vintagemotif 12-21-2010 09:26 AM

NICE! You got yourself one of the best machines Singer ever made, 201. It is one of the quietest machines, runs very smoothly, and produces beautiful stitches. Plug that gorgeous machine in and start using it. You will love it for piecing and straight stitch quilting. You can free motion quilt with it, but the Singers 15s produce nicer work for the free motion over the 201s. And best part, the harp space is large which makes it ideal for working with the larger quilts. FWs are nice to take to classes since they are small and light weight, but this is the vintage machine to have for the home.

Mary M 12-21-2010 09:52 AM

Very nice looking machine! I would guess that you will have fun with it. I Love those old black Singers.

jlm5419 12-21-2010 10:00 AM

I LOVE my Singer 201. You're going to enjoy using yours too.

Ramona Byrd 12-21-2010 10:40 AM

What a lucky find. I'd first wash it with soap and water, rub it down and then use Old English polish on it. There's two kinds I have, dark and light. It's an old brand and I've had some of it for many years, still works even after all these years to cover scratches.

Deara 12-21-2010 11:45 AM

Pretty machine.
You will love sewing with it.
I love sewing with mine.

Merry Christmas.
Blessings to you and yours,
Sandi