Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My Morse 4400 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-morse-4400-a-t189038.html)

Caroline S 05-15-2012 06:03 AM

My Morse 4400

3 Attachment(s)
This sewing machine joined the ranks last Friday. She is missing parts, the bobbin race and the zigzag plate and did not come with attachments or manual. My OSMG said he has parts and perhaps another 4400 donor machine. She came in a very nice cabinet. For once I have a cabinet that does not need work. Also interesting is that the cabinet is marked on the inside made in Yugoslavia.

When DH asked me why I bought another Morse, my excuse is that it was Joe's fault, cause he has one like it and I wanted one.
;)

mea12 05-15-2012 06:07 AM

LOVE these. i bought one a few years ago and it would only do straight stitch and reverse. It would not do the decorative stitches. Apparently a cam inside was cracked and the tech said he couldn't fix it. He specializes in industrial machines and I've often wondered if I could get it fixed somewhere else. For now, it lives at my son's home and he uses it for a book-end!! I would love to find another one. All of this to say..its probably good to have more than one in case you do need parts one day. SOOOO cool! And they stitch fabulously well and easily.

Candace 05-15-2012 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by mea12 (Post 5218060)
LOVE these. i bought one a few years ago and it would only do straight stitch and reverse. It would not do the decorative stitches. Apparently a cam inside was cracked and the tech said he couldn't fix it. He specializes in industrial machines and I've often wondered if I could get it fixed somewhere else. For now, it lives at my son's home and he uses it for a book-end!! I would love to find another one. All of this to say..its probably good to have more than one in case you do need parts one day. SOOOO cool! And they stitch fabulously well and easily.

You can't "fix" a cracked camstack. You need to replace it with a new one (old one from a donor machine). That's the problem, if you don't have a donor machine there's no part to replace it with.

Oddly, my Morse has a large crack in the camstack but still does all it stitches beautifully. It shouldn't...but it does!

J Miller 05-15-2012 11:02 AM

Caroline,

I kinda wish I did have one like that. That is one pretty machine. I hope it sews as good as it looks. Mine is a Alden but it's got lots of goodies too.
And thankfully it's cam stack(s) are steel. No break parts.

Joe

ppquilter 05-16-2012 06:09 PM

Nice machine and cabnit!

jeaninmaine 05-31-2012 09:27 AM

I recently bought one of these, it reminds me of the fifties. I'm hoping to find a free manual online somewhere.

Bezzer 06-20-2012 06:01 PM

I just bought one of these morse 4400. Like new but tension assembly is messed up. Still trying to fix. Also looking for another. Trying to figure out how to post a pic of it.

Bezzer 06-20-2012 06:20 PM

Could somebody help me post a pic. I'm new. I have a iPad and it doesn't give me option to upload file.
thanks.

Grannyh67 06-21-2012 05:30 AM

That is a beautiful machine, wish I had it. I have a Model 4300 and it only has ss and reverse. I will be keeping my eyes out for one like that. I have been bitten by the bug, lol.....they are so pretty.

Grannyh67 06-21-2012 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 (Post 5305347)
That is a beautiful machine, wish I had it. I have a Model 4300 and it only has ss and reverse. I will be keeping my eyes out for one like that. I have been bitten by the bug, lol.....they are so pretty.

Sorry, I said it was SS only, it is ZZ and SS and does blind stitch, but not working right. It also does button holes but ss is great on it.