Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   my "new" featherweighgt has arrived! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-new-featherweighgt-has-arrived-t220969.html)

nancia 05-07-2013 11:00 AM

my "new" featherweighgt has arrived!

i was sure i heard the familiar roar of the UPS truck, and sure enough, it woke me from a sound sleep! a quick apology to my friend sue who expected me this morning, and then off to the door and new arrival. to fill in the blanks-- my original post was '5 featherweights and oodles of other machines...' at shopgoodwill.com. a large cardboard box with stryo peanuts and the featherweight case. a worrisome rattle--my heartbeat raced and so did my doom and gloom imagination-- made me expect ruination within. GOOD NEWS!everything is fine! the case shows some wear, and there is a smell, but not horrible, and the inside cover of the box has some moisture damage and buckling--paper only, the wood is fine. the little princess herself looks great. yes, there are some minor pin scratches and other than that, it's pretty much perfect! i haven't gone over it with a magnifying glass, but it looks great!! it runs quietly. i examined the power cord and it has some cracking in the rubber, so i will replace it, and have the interior wiring checked out. i will include pictures shortly. her serial number starts with AH so she is a 1948 beauty. and that makes her older than me!! she is holding up a LOT better, but then she doesn't have all the soft parts that i do, or did. i can't wait to use her to do some piecing! she is the last of my birthday presents this year, and probably for the next few! i'm happy. for those concerned with packaging-- goodwill can be somewhat uneven in their efforts, but i think they have addressed it trying to get products unbroken and in acceptable shape to purchasers. to be completely forthcoming, there is a tear in one corner of the box. there are 5 additional feet. 3 look like variations of binders or rufflers, and 2 look like newer zipper feet. my camera is being re-charged and then pictures! the case is dirty, as in undusted in a closet kind of dirt. and/or the top of the case may be faded. bobbin and bobbin cover are present. there is only one throat plate, but i seem to remember the buttonholer included the second one. sew.... color me happy!!!

Txsuthrn 05-07-2013 11:02 AM

Congrats!!

Quilt Novice 05-07-2013 11:32 AM

Sounds lovely!

Prim Quilts 05-07-2013 12:12 PM

Congratulations, I'm glad it got there safely. I've never gotten anything off the Goodwill auctions because I was afraid it would get damaged.

Caroline S 05-07-2013 01:17 PM

​Happy dance for you. I know the joy you are feeling.

nancia 05-07-2013 03:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
now. what we've all been waiting for... pictures!

csharp 05-07-2013 04:31 PM

Goody, goody for you. These lil machines make us smile :)

DanofNJ 05-07-2013 05:42 PM

I'm happy for you! Enjoy :o

nancia 05-07-2013 09:01 PM

thank you! they are such happy little machines, aren't they! most of my happy childhood memories are tied to this little machine. and my first use of curse words at a monumental thread snarl up! i had a rabbit that lived in our basement/family room/ sewing room. he used to lie down next to my motor foot and keep me company while i sewed. if he could have i'm sure he would have been up on the table. no one told him he wasn't a cat!

psychonurse 05-08-2013 04:58 AM

Very nice Congrats