Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My "new" handcrank machine! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-new-handcrank-machine-t260969.html)

Sewnoma 02-08-2015 08:06 AM

My "new" handcrank machine!

6 Attachment(s)
Short backstory: My aunt is completely awesome, and upon discovering my fondness for old machines gifted me with an old Singer that she had bought to decorate her craft room years ago but no longer has room for it. I picked it up yesterday and just got it home this morning.

Here she is!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509289[/ATTACH]

Serial is 15017915 - I looked it up on ISMACS and all it could tell me was 1899. I LOVE these decals, all those little curlicues look so elegant and they're pretty much intact.

I am still learning how to ID the model of these machines and was hoping to cheat with an ISMACS ID on that! I am pretty sure it's a 27 or a 28? I am really shaky on those models; I think the only real difference is the 28 is a 3/4 size version of the 27...is that right? I'll have to measure but I think she's on the smaller side, so my guess right now is that she's a 28.

This is my first "shuttle" bobbin machine so I'm a little afraid to play with it too much, but I'll get over that pretty quick. It's complete as far as I can tell, the bobbin shuttle is there and there's a bobbin in it and another on the winder; my aunt says she has a couple more of the bobbins in a display case and will get those to me, too.

It's in really good shape - some rust specks here and there and some blemishes on the paint and decals but everything is there and she moves beautifully. The bobbin tire is shot but that's hardly surprising and I'm assuming a replacement won't be hard to find. The case needs some oil or something but it's in good shape too, latches all work, etc. What should I put on this wood to help protect it?

I laid the lid on its side and discovered a cubby full of attachments! I'm pretty sure my aunt didn't even know it was there. One of the attachments appears to have been modified (bent all to hell) and I have no idea what some of these pieces are for, so I have some learnin' to do there, too!

I noticed the stitch stroke is a little different, there's a sort of "bounce" to the needlebar movement. It doesn't just go down then right back up; it goes down and then slightly up then back down before starting the upstroke. Is that a VS thing? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me? I DID get very little sleep last night...

More photos - please ignore the kitchen clutter, that was the only room in the house with good lighting and some clear space at 6-something AM this morning when I got home. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509290[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509292[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509293[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509294[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509295[/ATTACH]

Mrs. SewNSew 02-08-2015 08:17 AM

Oh honey! Isn't that a beauty! I've never seen this lovely decal pattern. Your auntie must love you very much! The goodie box inside the lid is really cool too. Please post some close-ups of the accessories. Something might not be bent all to hell, since some of them can look pretty odd. Better to ask the experts first! Congratulations! I am sure you are tickled pink!

tessagin 02-08-2015 08:25 AM

stunning!!

Sewnoma 02-08-2015 09:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 7082238)
Please post some close-ups of the accessories. Something might not be bent all to hell, since some of them can look pretty odd.

I tried to get some good closeups but my hands are shaky in the morning so they mostly came out blurry, lol. I can try again in a bit when my hands have woken up all the way.

This is my least-blurry pic of that part from this morning (I braced my hand against the box & counter) but my fingers are probably covering up too much of it. I'm holding it sideways and by the clamp, the bed of the machine would be to the right of main vertical piece there...somehow inside that boxy "U" shape. For it to fit, the plates on the bed would have to be open and this part would go down inside the base of the machine and even then I'm not sure that would actually line up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509302[/ATTACH]

Here it is on the counter, second from the left.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509303[/ATTACH]

The bent piece has measure markings on it. I think it's a hem guide that's supposed to be straight and flat and someone for some reason bent it into that "U"...but I could be totally wrong!

SteveH 02-08-2015 09:53 AM

that's a beautiful 28. It looks to be in great shape. That extra bob at the bottom was something that was done on machines up until about 1910 on 20 somewhere in that range depending on the company. they were trying to show that sewing machines made stitches as good as a hand stitch. A seamstress when making a stitch would give a little tug to make the stitch tight. That's what that bob is doing, it is helping just snug the stitch. This is one of the reasons that early machines actually sew better than modern machines.

Rodney 02-08-2015 10:21 AM

Beautiful machine! I'm not familiar with your decal pattern. It is a pretty one and I don't think as common as some of the others. My model 27 has the same sort of action. I think you'll enjoy your new machine.
Rodney

Monroe 02-08-2015 10:43 AM

What a lovely machine- and complete with all the goodies! I've only seen a few with this decal design and they were in horrible condition. Enjoy sewing with it.

Sewnoma 02-08-2015 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7082343)
that's a beautiful 28. It looks to be in great shape. That extra bob at the bottom was something that was done on machines up until about 1910 on 20 somewhere in that range depending on the company. they were trying to show that sewing machines made stitches as good as a hand stitch. A seamstress when making a stitch would give a little tug to make the stitch tight. That's what that bob is doing, it is helping just snug the stitch. This is one of the reasons that early machines actually sew better than modern machines.

Ah, good to know! I just noticed the take up arm does the same little jig so that makes sense. How cool!

I got her threaded and made a few stitches but the top tension needs some work. It's super tight and just loosening it didn't seem to help; it's probably dirty and maybe a little rusty in there. I did get a line of stitches made but since the top tension was so tight it just puckered up the fabric like I'd pulled a drawstring. Is there anything I should know before I try to take the tension apart & clean it out? Such as bits that tend to go flying? I've never had to take apart a tension assembly before but it doesn't look that scary and I'll take pictures as I go so I (hopefully) can get it back together afterwards... I "flossed" it with some thread and got some lint out but I am sure there's more!

Sewnoma 02-08-2015 11:41 AM

I'm definitely going to have to sew something extra special for my aunt as a thank you. :) WITH this machine, of course!

Macybaby 02-08-2015 11:46 AM

Someone took apart most of your attachments - and it does not look like all the peices are there.

That bent part with numbers? It's not suppose to be bent.

It's part of a Singer tucker, but I don't see the other part.

You also have an older style coil tucker -it's also apart, but looks like they are both there.

Both peices of the adjustable hemmer are there, but it does not look like the small screw that holds them together is there. The two screws look larger - like the bed mount ones.

I'll go find pictures to show you