Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My New Machine - Kenmore 1030 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-new-machine-kenmore-1030-a-t302344.html)

maudeflanagan 01-17-2019 07:18 PM

My New Machine - Kenmore 1030

1 Attachment(s)
So I took a chance on an auction and bid on a machine on a whim. I am so pleased that I did. My little machine arrived safely today. I am totally smitten with this little guy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606952[/ATTACH]
It runs and sews perfectly. It does have a bad bobbin winder which is really disappointing, but I have a shoddy Simplicity Sidewinder in order. It came with a case and most of the accessories. Not bad for $44!

cashs_mom 01-17-2019 07:58 PM

Nice! What a cute machine.

clevermom3kids 01-18-2019 09:59 AM

I bought one just like it! Haven't tried it yet, but what a cutie! Yay to both of us!

Steelsewing 01-18-2019 01:25 PM

I love my Kenmore 1030. I'm sorry FW fans, but this little machine is lighter and it zigzags. If you find one with the original case, it's way cuter than that solemn black Singer apothecary case. A wonderful little machine that always turn heads at the quilt club. =) (Oh, and sews well too! :thumbup:)

greaterexp 01-18-2019 07:20 PM

Wonderful. I still have my first machine—a 40-year-old Kenmore, which runs great. Enjoy your new machine!

lindawmn 01-18-2019 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by maudeflanagan (Post 8195032)
So I took a chance on an auction and bid on a machine on a whim. I am so pleased that I did. My little machine arrived safely today. I am totally smitten with this little guy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606952[/ATTACH]
It runs and sews perfectly. It does have a bad bobbin winder which is really disappointing, but I have a shoddy Simplicity Sidewinder in order. It came with a case and most of the accessories. Not bad for $44!

Very pretty! Yeah, I bought that Sidewinder and it's shoddy as heck, but it did wind a class 66 bobbin while I'm waiting for the new bobbin tire for the Rocketeer.

SusieQOH 01-19-2019 07:16 PM

This is my very first machine!!! My Dad bought it for me when my oldest son was a baby and I adore it!!!
The first thing I made on it was Christmas stockings :)
I could never part with it. Haven't used it lately but cleaned and oiled and it still runs well. I used it for almost 25 years exclusively.

maudeflanagan 02-25-2019 03:53 AM

So I have been sewing on my machine periodically (I bought it mainly for sewing while at someone else's house) and I have noticed there is something it's struggling with. I was sewing some HSTs in a 9-patch formation, and anytime I had to start a seam where there was a diagonal HST seam at the beginning, the machine struggles to pull the fabric under the needle. I tried using a leader scrap bit of fabric to make sure the fabric wasn't sucked into the needle plate, but this didn't help.

I believe the 1030 only came with a zigzag plate, so I don't know if I can get a straight stitch plate for it or if that would help. It almost feels like the feed dogs are unable to grab the fabric like they are supposed to. The feed dogs are moving as they should as far as I can see. I tried adjusting the presser foot pressure, that doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have any ideas for the problem or a solution?

OurWorkbench 02-26-2019 07:06 AM

Are you using a zig-zag foot or a straight stitch foot?

Another idea would be to make sure the first stitch on the diagonal is slightly in from the edge.and holding onto the leader scrap the first few stitches.

Another idea would be to place tissue paper or tear-away stabilizer (maybe wash-away would be better) under the start of the seam.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Irishrose2 02-26-2019 07:39 AM

That's exactly why my Elna 62C can't piece. I've never found a cure - yes, I did. I bought a 301.