Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My new Morse/Toyota/Visi-o-matic pics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-new-morse-toyota-visi-o-matic-pics-t179168.html)

JMCDA 02-12-2012 06:32 PM

My new Morse/Toyota/Visi-o-matic pics

6 Attachment(s)
Hi All

I have been bursting all day, trying to find the time to upload and edit the pics of my new baby! This machine has been listed and re-listed on Kijiji for the last month at least - I kept looking at it, it kept coming down in price....so yesterday I finally called and we went to look at it.

Hubby lifted her up out of the cabinet and went huh!! ...she is stamped Toyota in 3 different places underneath even though her plate says "Arrow Automatic" and her manual calls her a Visi-o-matic. The cabinet has been abused but the machine has not, she is almost pristine and she came with all her accessories - cams, feet, bobbins, etc. All that was missing out of the kit are the screwdrivers, oil can and something called an embroidery spring. She needs a new belt and a new bulb for the dashboard light - yup, her dashboard lights up!!!
I am anticipating that she will sew like a dream from what I have read about these machines.

Here she is - no name yet, the lady we bought her from ($40.00) was Berta - but I don't think she is a Berta but I might call her "Birdie" because of the bird logo on the dial - hubby and I are avid birders so that would be appropriate LOL

#1 The crochet mat to the far right was a bonus - a really cute hotpad with little crochet flowers that was used as a pin holder/needlebook
#2 The instruction "manuel" is written in 'Engrish" quote: "make automatic sewing by each of the sew-discs"
#3 That illustration pretty well dates the machine - everything was "o-matic" in the 50's and 60's
#4 pattern chart for the sew discs - nothing too exciting, all a variation of zig zag
#5 all the feet - is the one in the middle a "hopping foot"? -called a button sewing foot in the manuel :-)
#6 - little door where the cams go, and the built in pin cushion!

can't wait to get the new belt and get her going!

Cheers!
Joann

Candace 02-12-2012 07:51 PM

Great machine!

Monroe 02-12-2012 08:48 PM

The image of a woman lounging on the couch and smoking really cracked me up. Looks like a '50's sketch. I guess the machine does all the work so you have time to put your feet up? I've never seen funky design cams like those before. Have Fun!

Glenda m 02-12-2012 09:25 PM

This is too cool!! Can I come over and play? LOL

Charlee 02-12-2012 10:10 PM

Nice Joann! Birdie is a pretty bird!! LOL

The middle foot that you asked about...is it spring loaded? If so, I'd call it a hopping or darning foot....if not, then it's designed to hold the button down by it's edges so it can be sewn on with a zigzag stitch and length set at "0".

miriam 02-13-2012 02:52 AM

Birdie suits well!!! I think you are going to have a good time playing with that machine in days to come.

JMCDA 02-13-2012 07:02 AM

Sure! anytime!...I wonder if there are any more cams available for this machine?

Originally Posted by Glenda m (Post 4970068)
This is too cool!! Can I come over and play? LOL

JMCDA 02-13-2012 07:04 AM

I know - me too! LOL - reminds me of an old magazine I have with a pic of a woman lying on the floor hugging her new Hoover vacuum (that hubby bought her for Christmas) - that one just about kills me!

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 4970012)
The image of a woman lounging on the couch and smoking really cracked me up. Looks like a '50's sketch. I guess the machine does all the work so you have time to put your feet up? I've never seen funky design cams like those before. Have Fun!

JMCDA 02-13-2012 07:07 AM

well....I guess that is what the missing embroidery spring was for - it must have slipped over the foot to turn it into a darning foot - too bad, but I guess the spring got away somewhere. I have other darning feet that will work.

...I think she is a pretty good consolation prize after loosing the Capitol (which I have since realized was a Brother Super-streamliner) at the auction last Saturday :-)

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4970133)
Nice Joann! Birdie is a pretty bird!! LOL

The middle foot that you asked about...is it spring loaded? If so, I'd call it a hopping or darning foot....if not, then it's designed to hold the button down by it's edges so it can be sewn on with a zigzag stitch and length set at "0".

Caroline S 02-13-2012 07:14 AM

Very nice score. Best of all she came with a manual.