Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My new (old) Singer 15 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-new-old-singer-15-a-t246413.html)

Fuzzykittenbutt 05-07-2014 08:28 AM

My new (old) Singer 15

7 Attachment(s)
So, my oral exam went very well...got the highest mark possible, and now I can finally upload some pictures of my Singer 15. She needs some work (maybe a lot? what do you all think I'm getting myself into here). The treadle and table top for her are in good condition. Temporarily we've had a different table top mounted on the treadle for the last couple of months, since we needed a table after our move and I knew I wouldn't be able to restore her for awhile (and also have no experience doing so, so this should be interesting!). But now that table top will be coming off (although my boyfriend who helped me mount it on the treadle is not too pleased about it, since it took some effort to get it mounted on the treadle in the first place...but he'll have to get over it, hehe!). So without further ado, here are the pics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474786[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474787[/ATTACH]
This pic's a bit fuzzy; sorry about that!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474788[/ATTACH]
Pretty table edge and nice patina on the wood.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474789[/ATTACH]
Her rusty nose

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474790[/ATTACH]
She's from 1905!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474791[/ATTACH]
Missing a large back plate (are they just called back plates??). And is the smaller hole to the far right supposed to be covered or not?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474792[/ATTACH]
And finally, I know the holes are for the belt that connects to the treadle, but what are those brass covered indentations next to them for??

I'm looking forward to getting started and restoring her! If anyone knows the answers to the questions above, I'd be very grateful (I'm sure most of you do; I'm a bit initimidated by the wealth of knowledge about antique machines in forum! :-))

SteveH 05-07-2014 09:37 AM

Those brass covered indentations are the hinge points for the bonnet lid (cover)

I have seen clones with covers over that forward hole, but I do not believe Singers did (I SO could be wrong here)

Fuzzykittenbutt 05-07-2014 11:09 AM

OH, I totally forgot about the cover. I have it too, just forgot to photograph it...hmm...it doesn't seem to have anywhere on it that would fit into those grooves...maybe not an original cover? I would photograph the cover but it's already pretty dark over here in Germany.

SteveH 05-07-2014 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
on the bottom edge of the cover should be a set of these
[ATTACH=CONFIG]474804[/ATTACH]

Fuzzykittenbutt 05-07-2014 11:59 AM

Nope, just a lock in the middle...long and wedge shaped, with a keyhole on the side of the cover. So it looks like the previous owner probably lost the cover at some point and replaced it with whatever she could find. :-/

SteveH 05-07-2014 02:00 PM

because those bits are held on with one small screw they are frequently missing. If your cover has the "dents" where they were, we can make a set easily.

miriam 05-07-2014 02:14 PM

I have a 1902 and I spent a few hours restoring it. I think it is one of the best I have. The hand wheel is heavier than the newer Singer 15s as is yours. Mine had a pretty good coating of dried up oil everywhere. I should shoot a picture. Mine is not very pretty but it sure does sew nice.

amcatanzaro 05-07-2014 02:20 PM

Very nice!

My post holes are on the back.

Rodney 05-07-2014 07:36 PM

I think you'll have a nice machine once it's cleaned up.
Rodney

Bannlock 05-09-2014 09:51 AM

I have just purchased a Singer 1923 Redeye. I need to do some cleaning on her. Can you give me any tips on how to get started. She is in fair shape and all the decals are still in place.