Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My new Tan Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-new-tan-featherweight-t109275.html)

Gerbie 03-21-2011 11:27 PM

Congrats. on a new toy there. They all look new, dog doesn't look to be all that happy though. lol

Helenq 03-22-2011 02:46 AM

She is a Beauty! And what a cute dog!!!!

ahoyhere7508 03-22-2011 08:05 AM

Sure you will love it as much as I do mine. Mine is tan also and I got it at a humane society silent auction for $40. It goes with us in our travel trailer.

jackrussell1987 03-22-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ahoyhere7508
Sure you will love it as much as I do mine. Mine is tan also and I got it at a humane society silent auction for $40. It goes with us in our travel trailer.

Oh wow, that's a deal. They seem like they'd be the perfect size to take anywhere with you.

DirtyPaw 03-22-2011 05:03 PM

Very nice... Nice looking dog as well.

IT_Nana 03-22-2011 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by jackrussell1987
So I needed a new machine to replace my cheapo plastic on that's on the fritz so I started looking for a Singer 221 or 301. This one is the first one that showed up on my local Craigslist (and I found the ad 5 days after it was originally posted) . I showed Billy the pictures and he told me to go for it right away. I tested it out and brought it home Wednesday. Got more advice from Billy on cleaning the grease and grime off of it and spent today cleaning and polishing it up. It's a 221K from 1961- Kilbowie, Scotland.

While picking up what I needed from the auto store, I *might* have felt just a little guilty about not remembering when the last time I even considered washing my car was, so I picked up stuff to do that too. The dog was getting a little bit smelly too, so...yep...she got a bath today too.

It's beautiful. I've been looking for a featherweight on ebay, but they're selling for more than I'm willing to pay right now. What did you use to clean and polish it? I need to get busy on my Free sewing machine.

jackrussell1987 03-22-2011 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by IT_Nana
It's beautiful. I've been looking for a featherweight on ebay, but they're selling for more than I'm willing to pay right now. What did you use to clean and polish it? I need to get busy on my Free sewing machine.

Thanks! I actually found mine on Craigslist, plus I got to actually try it out first. I've seen them on other sites as well.

I used (per Billy's instructions) GoJo hand cleaner (non-pumice) and Meguiars Carnauba Wax to clean and shine mine up. If you're cleaning a different type of machine, you might want to check out Billy's (Lostn51) tutorials on how to clean vintage sewing machines. It's much more extensive and I'm not brave enough to try and work on/clean the interior workings of my featherweight....yet

glorybound 03-23-2011 07:12 AM

Enjoy the nap you deserve. Hope you dream up a fabulous quilt!

Mamatron 03-23-2011 07:21 AM

Congrats! I am a new Featherweight owner too. I will have to look for that tutorial. But I don't think I will wash the dogs and car, maybe just the car.

cjaye44 03-23-2011 09:38 AM

All three look very spiffy!!! Congratulations.