Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My new toy - 1911 Singer treadle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-new-toy-1911-singer-treadle-t22082.html)

dunster 06-30-2009 08:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just bought a 1911 Singer 66K treadle with the lotus decals, made in Scotland. I found it on craigslist, and paid $50. It will need lots of work on the cabinet and head, but the treadle assembly is in great shape. I have taken the cabinet apart and started to repair the veneer. I think the head will need to be taken apart too - that will be a real learning opportunity!

If anyone has experience in refurbishing these old machines, I would love to hear about it. I'll post updates as the restoration progresses.

this is the cabinet ... in pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39041[/ATTACH]

Quilt4u 06-30-2009 08:19 AM

Great find.

Ducky 06-30-2009 08:19 AM

Isn't that just a magnificent looking machine??? Wow. You only paid $50?!

bearpaw 06-30-2009 08:21 AM

That's awesome!!! I would love a treadle machine! I have an electric Singer that was built in 1911, built in Edison, NJ.

Good luck with it!!

Rhonda 06-30-2009 09:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
That is a beautiful Singer! I love the iron legs. It will be great when you get it restored. If it was me I wouldn't varnish it tho. The original worn look gives it more value. The less you change it the more it is worth. My mom used to be an antique dealer. It can be tricky to restore without damaging the value of the piece.

Are the knobs porcelain? If they are they probably aren't original to the piece. In 1911 they probably used wooden knobs but I could be wrong. I don't remember when porcelain became popular.

I am envious!!

I collect the drawers and use them in various ways. I am looking for the frames that the drawers go into. I haven't searched for them online tho. I do look for them in antique shops. That is where I got these.
Here are my sewing machine drawers(not underwear!!)
I will have to check out Craig's list. I have never seen it.

I use them as storage for my thread and other stuff
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39044[/ATTACH]

I use them as shelves
[ATTACH=CONFIG]39045[/ATTACH]

Quilting Aggi 06-30-2009 09:26 AM

what a beauty!! I found a nice 1907 Singer treadle machine last year (minus the cabinet) for $80 in the corner of an old antique shop. Mine too needs alot of TLC, but until I can afford to get it refurbished, I have it on display in my sewing room where I can admire it every time I'm sewing there!!!

Your machine is just gorgeous!

Lainee 06-30-2009 09:29 AM

Just call me Copy Cat!!!!!

Rhonda 06-30-2009 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Beautiful machine! good for you!
Rhonda, I collect antique postcards and they store in these drawers beautifully! Aren't they fun?

My mom has been an antique collector ever since I can remember. I have been in and out of antique shops for years! When I was a preteen I used to collect the postcards. I love to read the messages. I got into it for the stamps originally. I don't remember when I quit collecting them and moved on to other stuff. I have some post cards and letters my grandparents wrote when they were young adults. Those are fascinating to me.
I love to go antiquing and add to my collections. They are legion! I wish I had more room to collect!!

amma 06-30-2009 09:47 AM

What a great, beautiful, awesome find :D :D :D

quiltingbee12 06-30-2009 10:01 AM

Beautiful! Someday I want to get one of those, and if I ever see one, I'm going to grab it ;)
Great find!