Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My Newest Singer Redeye (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-newest-singer-redeye-t192142.html)

Caroline S 06-18-2012 02:34 PM

My Newest Singer Redeye

4 Attachment(s)
The son of my OJCG (old junk collector guy) called me to see if I was interested in looking at a sewing machine. Silly question, of course. And the end result was this 1919 Singer 66 that had been electrified and mounted in a later cabinet. The original receipt came with the machine dated 19 March 1943. It sold for $102.50 including the tax. The best part is that this machine is a back clamping machine and I needed a back clamp for my Redeye treadle machine. Since this machine has been electrified I am going to modify this one with the side clamp. It needs a slide plate, a small veneer reapir and likely an electrical rewire but overall I am happy.

Charlee 06-18-2012 02:39 PM

That reciept is either for another machine, or this one was resold in 1934, because the Redeye decals were only made until 1924. :)

Pretty machine, nice cabinet!! :)

Caroline S 06-18-2012 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5299046)
That reciept is either for another machine, or this one was resold in 1934, because the Redeye decals were only made until 1924. :)

Pretty machine, nice cabinet!! :)

I am thinking this machine was resold as an electrified machine as per the receipt. The serial number on the machine is G7376628. It was definitely originally a treadle.

xxxxxxxxxx 06-18-2012 04:07 PM

seems like a hi price for 1943. LOL They gave them 5 bucks trade in ,, wondering what they traded in. it's was an old machine LOLOLOL. thsi one wasn't old..

going by the machines I have when a singer dealer did the eletric conversion, it was a singer motor and a realsinger mount ,, also the handwheel got changed, yours still has the orignal hand wheel.

here's what happens when you let off the gas, the machine will still make about 3 more stitches because of the heavier wheel, Thats what mine do, ( 2) the one with the conversion wheel stops as soon as you let off

I like the looks of the OG wheel much better

when the photo load I thought you got the one on C/L that just posted today, in portland, 75 bucks

Look at the singer tag ,, the decals was put on off center ,, one of mine is also off set and the tag covers part of that decal.. makes wonder are these factory 2nd's ? LOLOL

or built on a monday morning .. we ARE NOT junk collectors !!!! my stuff is all very finely aged artifacts depicking world history... in pinata or you might say rusty ol junk..

mighty 06-18-2012 08:03 PM

Very nice machine, congrats!

nanna-up-north 06-19-2012 04:31 AM

Your serial number would make it a model 66, September 9, 1919 so the receipt is definately a resale many years later. Pretty machine.

J Miller 06-19-2012 04:53 AM

Caroline,

Nice machine and cabinet. I need to get a back clamp 66 for all the attachments I have.
Notsosureif is right about the machine stitching on after you let off the pedal. I have a 66-4 converted treadle head that did that pretty badly. I slipped a solid wheel on it and now it runs normally.

Joe

Caroline S 06-19-2012 05:37 AM

Thanks for the operation hints Joe and
Notsosureif. I may transfer some parts from my other 66s and test drive this girl. IF ONLY IT WOULD STOP RAINING HERE so I can open up the garage door and do some sewing machine work. AAARGGG! I will willingly trade some rain for some warmth and sunshine.
:)

J Miller 06-19-2012 06:35 AM

If I could email you some I would. We were baking yesterday.

Joe

BarbaraSue 06-19-2012 06:41 AM

Pretty machine. My Red Eye treadle is a 1923. I was wondering if it was placed in a newer cabinet and electrified in 1943, then sold to the lady in the receipt. The cabinet is similar to one of my other machines from the 1940's.

she's a beaut anyway! congratulations