Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My sewing machines have names, do yours? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-sewing-machines-have-names-do-yours-t165265.html)

girliegirl 11-02-2011 04:30 PM

My sewing machines have names, do yours?

My girls have names, I don't have any boys as of yet.... lol... now i Have to make my list of all my machines and put them here...

what is your machine and her name?

chris_quilts 11-02-2011 04:42 PM

I have several machines - some named and some not. My main machine currently is my 301 and her name is Rebeccah. My FW is Betsy (as in Ross) and so her the 301 is named for one of Betsy's sisters. My almost complete 201 is Rosie and my Two Spools is Josie (Josephine) after my grandmother. I also have an older Bernina whose name is Hans. My seam rippers are Frank and Henrietta when I am thinking nice thougths about them. My dear departed, rehomed, plastic machine was named Zoe when she was cooperating with me. I have many other machines not yet named but as I work on them and sew on them their name usually comes to me - they tell me their names mostly.

miriam 11-02-2011 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one I'm not sure if it is a boy or a girl - I'm thinking a boy - I called it Potato Head.

QuiltingGrannie 11-02-2011 04:54 PM

I name my machines. They are newer machines but..
My regular sewing machine is a Brother SQ9000 which I have named SusieQ

My Nolting Longarm is called "Abby"

My Side Saddle computer system that works with "Abby" is called "Sadie" .

My seam ripper is "Jack"

and my car is named, " Sophie" lol

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie

Lostn51 11-02-2011 05:13 PM

The only thing I name mine is what I call it if it gets my nerve LOL!

Billy

Celeste 11-02-2011 05:15 PM

Bernina Sport - Nina
Featherweight - Mahana
Singer 301a (Black) - Stormy
Vesta - Penny
2 other (vintage) I need to name.

If you've read about my dogs, you'll recognize those last three names...

tlcquiltnut 11-03-2011 05:06 AM

Yes I name my machines. My treadle is Myrtle after my grandmother. She was a wonderful sewer. My Husqvarna Sapphire is Saffie, and my Designer Diamond is Bertie, named after my lovely aunt who is a wonderful person and sewer also. My LA is not named simply because I forgot to name (it) her. It is a Tin Lizzy so if you have any name suggestions, besides Lizzy....lol....

DonnaC 11-03-2011 11:50 AM

Yes, of course my machines have names....

My vintage Singer 66 hand-crank is named Ambrozina, after my grandmother.

My hale-and-hearty little Kenmore, who does anything I tell her to and gives me no problems, is named Edna. That just sounded like a "sturdy" name to me.

My (new, not antique) Featherweight 75 is called Tinkerbell, because she's my lightest machine.

My PITA Singer Quantum L-500 machine is named Paris Hilton, because she's a high-maintenance, fussy little twerp that only sews when she feels like it. But don't get me started on that subject....

daniwa 11-03-2011 12:26 PM

I am 'down' to 4 machines now.
2 Featherweights, Betsy and Eliza Jane. Both named for Elizabethtown

1 Japanese clone, 50s era turquoise colored Radi-o-matic named Sake (yes, like the wine!) Just got this machine in a cabinet, turns out the wiring in the cabinet was a definite fire hazard and the poor machine was disgustingly filthy. Waiting to get her cord back from the repairman so I can start sewing with her. Cleaning her with Qtips and an old toothbrush and some serious elbow grease almost drove me to drink, so Sake seemed appropriate.

1 Husqvarna Serger, Husky. Haven't used this poor old boy in years since I was sewing my little boys' clothes. They're teens now and would be horrified if I wanted to make any of their clothes now!

quilt addict 11-03-2011 12:36 PM

I'm with you and name them as I get to clean and bond with them. usually name them after their previous owner if I have that information.

The ones that I sew on regularly are:

FW - Judy
Singer 191 Treadle - Mishiko