Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My son got me a featherweight ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-son-got-me-featherweight-t209288.html)

thimblebug6000 12-27-2012 11:52 AM

What a neat surprise! Hope he got a great deal for you!

Hummer Lady 12-27-2012 06:13 PM

If you don't "need" a featherweight case or tote...I found a generic case by case logic at a local thrift store for $2. Works great for my machine that came with "nothing" except the power cord and foot pedal. I found a set of attachments in the original box for $14 with shipping on E-bay.

owlvamp 12-27-2012 06:17 PM

A wonderful son! They do tend to listen once in a while. LOL

Grammie Sharon 12-28-2012 06:08 AM

I have also ordered bobbings from april1930s.com and found the service very quick.

Morag 12-28-2012 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 (Post 5741257)
My son got me a featherweight from an eBay auction. I guess he's heard me talk about one so much! It doesn't have a case or any accessories. It hasn't arrived yet, so I'm hoping it works and he didn't get ripped off. My question is, what sort of accessories came with a featherweight or are available for one that I should be looking for ? Also , I'm going to be looking for a case. Thanks!

sew classic.com has all the accessories you will need. I get all my supplies from them and have had great service.
There are sites that have reproduction cases for about $40...do not have the site names but just google it.
Have fun, I have two and use them at quilt camp and classes.

Suze9395 12-28-2012 08:58 AM

I only use basic foot on mine. And, even though mine came with a case, it now lives in my Tutto bag, very mobile, lots of pockets. Super user friendly to take to classes and monthly sit and sew.

Scrap Quilter 12-28-2012 09:53 AM

What a wonderful gift and such a sweet son. Enjoy it when it arrives!:)

deedum 12-28-2012 04:25 PM

Wow, what a loving and kind hearted son! That is just the nicest! Enjoy!

quiltingcandy 12-28-2012 04:45 PM

You have a wonderful son to go to the time and expense of finding you a featherweight for Christmas! I have to agree with the others about the case. Since you will more than likely want to display the small machine to show off to others what a great son you have, the case isn't that big of a deal. The older ones really do have a distinct odor due to the glue that was used to make them. I have one of those totes with wheels so I can keep an extra pair of scissors, thread, etc and just put in the machine and go. It turns out my button hole maker and zig/zag attachments from my 15-91 work with the FW. So figure out what attachments that you will use - you can no on-line and find the manual for free and then visit thrift stores from time to time. But I would recommend you oil it up first. If you are used to the machines made today they don't require any oiling. I found that the previous owners of mine were fairly good at oiling, but failed to clean the lint from the feed dogs.

They are such hearty little machines so I hope enjoy it.

SunlitenSmiles 12-28-2012 05:41 PM

be sure to post a photo when it arrives