Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Mystery Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/mystery-machines-t184736.html)

grannysewer 04-01-2012 05:36 PM

Mystery Machines

3 Attachment(s)
I have two mystery machines in my possession.
The first picture is of a machine that was taken apart (not by me) and put in a box with other misc parts. What is it?
The second and third pictures are a Singer with green decals and a vine-y faceplate. What is this one?
Thank you!

Monroe 04-01-2012 05:40 PM

The first one is a Singer with the RAF decals. You can find the model numbers and age by their serial numbers. Looks like a bit of a collection there!

Charlee 04-01-2012 05:47 PM

Monroe is right....the first one has RAF decals, it's a model 15 (30 submodel?)

Second machine looks like a 99 with Filigree decals.

grannysewer 04-02-2012 04:38 AM

Monroe, Thanks for your help, wish I had the harp to it. Yes, I bought a storage unit of machines and have been going thru them.

Charlee, thank you. I wondered if the gold had changed colors or if they were what they looked like. Now I can research her some more.

jlm5419 04-02-2012 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5108984)
Monroe is right....the first one has RAF decals, it's a model 15 (30 submodel?)
Second machine looks like a 99 with Filigree decals.

Charlee, I was thinking the 2nd one looks more like a 28 or 128. Notice the slide plates?

Muv 04-02-2012 12:06 PM

The second one is a 28K.

The filigree decals were designed for round bobbin machines, so if they are on a 28K it is because it was re-japanned at some stage. You can see the gap in the decals at the left for the non-existent round bobbin slide-plate. I learnt to sew on my mum's machine (which I still have, and which features in two of my videos) and it is a 28K made in 1897, but with filigree decals. The filigree decals did not come in until later. We have a lot of old 28Ks here that were reconditioned many years ago, and they weren't fussy what decals they put on them.

callen 04-03-2012 05:08 AM

I see from the picture that you have a "red eye" in the background. 3rd machine from the front of the pic.
Is it in good shape? That is my "dream" machine but alas my chances of getting one are pretty slim. You are very lucky.

grannysewer 04-03-2012 05:21 AM

Yes, I do have several redeyes. Haven't really checked them out yet, I think 2 of them have pretty decent decals. Otherwise, I don't know what to check.

Caroline S 04-03-2012 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer (Post 5109818)
Monroe, Thanks for your help, wish I had the harp to it. Yes, I bought a storage unit of machines and have been going thru them.

Charlee, thank you. I wondered if the gold had changed colors or if they were what they looked like. Now I can research her some more.

OMG Grannysewer, I would think I had died and gone to sewing machine heaven if I had bought that storage unit contents. How many sewing machines were in the unit? My heart is going pitty pat right now!:p

grannysewer 04-03-2012 06:35 AM

There was a total of 47 machines, but about 15 were 70's plastics. And I'm not sure some of the older metal ones can be fixed. Also got parts that I don't have a clue about and books.