Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   nannys sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/nannys-sewing-machine-t186276.html)

amyhamilton 04-16-2012 10:45 AM

nannys sewing machine

5 Attachment(s)
hey
I'm looking to learn a little about this sewing machine. My grandmother got it when she was on a trip across Canada several years ago. It was a treadle, but with her arthritis she couldn't use it as is but loved the machine so much and wanted to use it so she had it converted into an 'automatic' with a motor and pedal. She passed away two years ago, and this past Christmas i received this machine. No one else in the family sews and my mother and aunts wanted to see it get used. For Christmas this year I'm planning on making all of my aunts and my mom a quilt pieced with this machine and I'm looking to make a little card up with the history of the machine. This is wear you and your expertise and experience with antique sewing machines come in. Is there anything you know about this machine, wear it was made. Wear would i look for that kind of thing? Are there pictures of the different factories or shops that would have built these machines? Anything and everything would be helpful.
Now lets hope i can get these pictures loaded...hmm

ArizonaKAT 04-16-2012 10:49 AM

Definitely a 3/4 size 99K. I have a hand crank and an electric with cabinet. both have really nice stitching.

Charlee 04-16-2012 11:17 AM

Your 99K (the "K" stands for Kilbowie, Scotland) was one of 50,000 commissioned on May 22nd, 1956. She's pretty!
You'd have a difficult time, at best, finding a treadle cabinet for her, but it looks like you don't need to! I'd leave it as is, because that's the way Grandma loved it! :)

amyhamilton 04-16-2012 11:52 AM

yes, i definitely planing on leaving her as is! i do love this machine. i have another older singer that was working great until this morning...started to bird nest with the bobbin thread, so i hauled this lil gal out and started working on the quilt i have planned for my aunt in Ontario. She is very smooth and has nice stitches. She is so petite as well. I definitely understand why my grandma just had to have her.

nannyrick 04-16-2012 11:58 AM

That is a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

quilt addict 04-16-2012 02:41 PM

Nice Singer 99. Glad you can keep her in the family. I am sure they will all appreciate their gifts made on her.

harrishs 04-16-2012 05:42 PM

what a pretty machine. I can understand why you love her!

sew1 04-16-2012 08:01 PM

Have 1 also. She is a gem and will sew forever. Enjoy and remember Grandma when you sew.

nanna-up-north 04-17-2012 03:28 AM

You have a beautiful machine. Grandma must have loved her a lot because it still looks like new. If you haven't sewn on her yet be sure to oil everything .... she is probably thirsty.... and then, enjoy her like grandma did.

wolph33 04-17-2012 03:44 AM

what a great machine and a great story.