Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   National Reversew badged as Coranado (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/national-reversew-badged-coranado-t271891.html)

J Miller 11-04-2015 06:24 PM

National Reversew badged as Coranado

7 Attachment(s)
Last week we stopped at a thrift store here in FW and found several machines. A new plastic wannabe piece of junque, a Japanese machine in a cabinet that was missing it's cams, I forget the brand, and a Coronado Reversew.

Actually it's a National Reversew badged as a Coronado. It was in a suit case type of case and came with a box of accessories. It was complete with it's cords and controller, shuttle and bobbins and both slide plates.
The poor thing was whimpering so bad that my wife didn't complain when I adopted it.

Here are some pics of my newest adoptee:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534944[/ATTACH]
The accessories were a mess. The previous owner had wrapped left over thread around the adjustable hemmer, a pencil, and pieces of paper.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534945[/ATTACH]
The stitch length / reverse lever

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534946[/ATTACH]
Motor and connectors. Motor is spring loaded

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534947[/ATTACH]
Motor plaque

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534948[/ATTACH]
Under the motor

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534949[/ATTACH]
Underside, needs a good cleaning

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534950[/ATTACH]
Top side after the first cleaning.

The machine uses 20x1 needles and the bobbins are shorter than the shuttle looks like they should be.
Luckily four bobbins came with the machine.
The only thing it really needs other than a thorough cleaning is a new foot controller cord. I'll get to that as soon as I get my soldering gun over here from IL. :(

According to the information here: { http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/reversew.htm } this machine is a 3/4 sized machine. But it's cast iron and weighs as much as most full sized machines. Sews pretty good but should sew better once I'm finished cleaning it.

The only thing that peeves me is the set screw from the drive pulley popped out of my fingers and disappeared somewhere in the living room. Searched for it for two days with no luck. Nuts!

Joe

Rodney 11-04-2015 06:37 PM

I love the Deco nose plate on those and am developing a fondness for National machines in general. Nice find!
Zorba's writeups on the various Nationals are great.
Rodney

SteveH 11-04-2015 06:37 PM

VERY Nice! well done already! (walk around barefoot, you'll find it...)

sewbeadit 11-04-2015 08:23 PM

What a cutie. Show us when you get it all cleaned up, I like all the attachments and goodies you got with it too. Get a magnet on a stick or something and run it all around the room, may find it that way if barefoot doesn't work!

Queen 11-05-2015 04:03 AM

Joe,
Have you been to a place called Horders in New Haven? Went by it on the way to my son's and wanted to stop, but we were running late. Maybe next time when I am in the area.

Mary

J Miller 11-05-2015 04:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve, Sewbeadit,

Tried the barefoot thing and an old Mt Bell horseshoe magnet on the floor. No luck so far. Stupid little screw is probably in plain sight just laughing at us.

Mary,
No I haven't gotten to New Haven yet. I will though. I want to check out the rail road museum so now I have two things to look at. :) Thanks for the tip.

Rodney,
Thanks for reminding me, I'd forgotten to take a pic of the nose. It's very 1930ish I think, although this machine is probably from the 40s or 50s.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534973[/ATTACH]

Joe

QuiltMom2 11-05-2015 05:12 AM

Neat looking machine, and if this is any comfort, I also have a screw from a face plate that is hiding and snickering behind my back!

Macybaby 11-05-2015 11:27 AM

This is one of my favorites - I've ended up with two as I bought the one in the case for the collection - and then one day we found one in a cabinet at a thrift store for $20, and I just could not leave without it . . .

Manalto 11-05-2015 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 7366934)
I'd forgotten to take a pic of the nose. It's very 1930ish I think, although this machine is probably from the 40s or 50s.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534973[/ATTACH]

Joe

Nice machine, Joe. I call that industrial design we see from the 50s that echoes the 30s "Deco Revival." It's a term of my own invention, but I haven't found the correct one, if it exists. Keep us posted on your progress.

James

Cari-in-Oly 11-05-2015 01:41 PM

Joe,
Coronado machines were sold by Gambles Dept. stores. National built them until 1954, then they were made by Brother into the 60s, then later by someone else.

Cari