Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Neat antique Singer attachment kit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/neat-antique-singer-attachment-kit-t148568.html)

Lostn51 11-04-2011 08:36 PM

The only thing about the puzzle boxes that Singer made they will not fit into none of the drawers on any of my treadles. Go figure.......

Billy

deemail 11-04-2011 09:40 PM

the far right side is a ruffler with grooves for flat fabric on bottom, grooves for fabric to be gathered in the middle and even different sizes holes on top for ribbon to be added at the same time the gathering and the attaching is done...some of the levers are to adjust the fullness of the gathers... you can purchase them for many machines today, my pfaff 1475 came with a simplified version (because the machine itself does so much more, the attachment doesn't have to.... the second from the right is a pleater and has many of the same functions just described for the ruffler along with pleating adjustments... the binders have already been identified, but there is a small rolled hemmer in front of them. see the rectangular plate in the back...it is a darning attachment...there was no way to lower the feed dogs so they covered them while leaving the slot for the needle to sew thru as you moved the fabric by hand, in any direction you need. the second from the left is a shirttail hemmer (tiny double folded, 1/4" wide) and there should be a seam width attachment but i can't see for sure... and of course, one of the wonderful original singer screwdrivers... there would have originally been another, approx 2" long as well, but shaped exactly the same. i have 2 of these as well as other treadle attachments that came with other machines... they are so fun to play with... if they seem complicated, remember that during this time women's dresses were gathered, pleated, ruched, and trimmed with all kinds of additional sewn-on trims. i used the ruffler to create the priscilla curtains in my first solo bedroom when i was a teenager. it came with my mom's Alden portable (old Montgomery Ward brand) machine and looked very little different than this treadle example. it allowed me to make a ruffle with 1/2" on one side and 2 1/2" on the other side after rolling hems on both sides of a 3" strip of organdy. then we slipped it inside and it gathered and sewed it onto the curtain at the same time. i thought it was magic, of course, but my mom had used it lots when she was growing up... and she had used it to make my nylon net crinolines in the late 50s--early 60s...

Veronica 11-04-2011 10:08 PM

Your box is so cool, enjoy using it.

ndnchf 11-07-2011 10:13 AM

I was surprised to see my old thread come up again. Glad you folks found it interesting. Billy - I dont have a singer treadle so I haven't tried it in the drawer. I have 3 treadles: a Franklin, a Foley & Williams and a Davis Minnessota Model D. I'll see if it fits any of them. Deemail - thanks for the attachment info.