Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need To Corral My Sewing Tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-corral-my-sewing-tools-t234986.html)

ThayerRags 11-18-2013 08:35 AM

Need To Corral My Sewing Tools

I need to figure out a good way to corral my favorite sewing tools when I move from one machine to another, sometimes one room to another, or even outside. I’m not going to be able to furnish all of my cabinets with scissors, thread nippers, screw drivers, hem gauge, seam rippers, marking pens, belt pliers, and the like, especially when it comes to the big Wiss shears. Some of my cabinets and stands don’t have storage drawers on them either, so I need ideas for some kind of tool tote that’s easy to keep up with.

I have a nice box to hold needles and bobbins in re-closable plastic bags. I think it was originally a jewelry box. All of the bags are marked as to the bobbin number and the machines (that I have) that they go to, and the needle information as well. Some machines take the same bobbin as others, but a different needle. Other machines take the same needle, but a different bobbin. I also have my leather belting extensions and belt staples that I made up for switching machine heads in a couple of my treadles. The problem is, my tools won't fit in it with the other stuff.

I use large tools like my carpenter’s square, 25-foot measuring tape, and 3-foot straight edge too, but they’ll have to just have to have a storage spot where I can go get them when I need them. That’s just too much to pack around all of the time.

Anyone got any ideas?

CD in Oklahoma

miriam 11-18-2013 08:52 AM

LOL CD if you come up with something it WILL be really good. I try to keep some basic stuff in an eye glasses case. Big screwdriver goes in the back pocket most of the time.... I don't usually need a carpenter's square for some reason.

amyjo 11-18-2013 09:05 AM

Go to the kitchen or cleaning dept in Walmart or Kmart. They have a tote I purchased for cleaning and later realized it was perfect ot put my scissors, tape, needles etc to carry from one place to the other. it has two sides with the handle in the middle kindof molded heavy plastic. It was made to carry all your cleaning supplies/dust rags from room to room. I have old cups/odd glasses in it with my pens, markers, 6 in metal tape, box of pins, seam ripper etc in them. By the way do not put your big scissors in one as the drop might break the glass. Can use a larger plastic container if wanted for heavy scissors.

J Miller 11-18-2013 11:07 AM

I'm watching for your solution. I have the same problem.

Joe

foufymaus 11-18-2013 11:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctPWOh0ME4&feature=youtube_gdata_player would this work? Also turn down your volume before you click.... its a little loud.

ThayerRags 11-18-2013 02:38 PM

I kind of thought about a leather tool holster that has a waste belt (think electrician), but I haven’t committed to it yet. I could make a separate leather sheath for the large shears I suppose. The trouble is, I don’t think I need to be wearing it all of the time.

I have my Dad’s old horse-shoeing tote made out of wood, about 24 by 18 inches and 4 inches deep, with a large compartment for rasps, nippers, hammers, and clinchers along one side, and 3 small compartments for nails, hoof picks, & frog knives along the other. One side is taller than the other with a hand hold cut into it for handling. It was handy to keep the big heavy tools on one side and the smaller and sharp tools on the other. Of course the frog knife was usually in a pocket on the protective chaps and the hoof pick was in a hip pocket when a big tool got pitched back at the tote. (I used it like he did, from watching him.)

I’m wondering about a pint-sized copy of a horse-shoeing tote, with wood around the sides and a thick leather bottom? It would be similar to the K-Mart tote suggestion, but I could make it the size to just fit my tools. Besides that, all of the new smaller plastic totes that I’ve found lately have holes in the sides.

CD in Oklahoma

miriam 11-18-2013 02:41 PM

I don't like plastic totes either. The tools I had in a tool box were stolen - the best place to hide them might be in a sewing machine case - the stupid thieves are too lazy to sew...

barny 11-18-2013 02:42 PM

amyjo, I have the same thing and I love it. Has plenty of room too.

ThayerRags 11-18-2013 03:29 PM

I find really nice leather handbags at yardsales regularly, but I don't really want to mix my tiny tools with my big heavy tools. Besides that, I worked highlines out of a bag for a while and didn't like it.

CD in Oklahoma

miriam 11-18-2013 03:36 PM

I have tiny tools in glasses cases. I can slip it into my pocket or it can stick to a magnet on the bench.