Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need Help Dating A Sovereign Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-help-dating-sovereign-machine-t289133.html)

bwiggins 06-21-2017 11:50 AM

Need Help Dating A Sovereign Machine

4 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone! Found your boards via Google while trying to date and possibly price this sewing machine I have. Bought it at a thrift store last year for about $15. It was on a table that is intended to be repurposed (unless for some reason the table ups the value). Would love any and all info I could get on it! Thank you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575151[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575152[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575153[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575154[/ATTACH]

Cari-in-Oly 06-21-2017 01:58 PM

Nice machine! What you paid for it is about what it's worth, in the knee control cabinet maybe a little more. Case or cabinet really makes no difference. If you can sell it for more, then it's worth that much. if you had the manual and the accessories, then a little more. It's a common 15 class clone, there are literally millions of them still in use so it's not rare or special other than the fact that it's a very good machine. Sovereign machines were built and sold by Brother in the mid 1950s.
The clones are not prized because there are so many of them, blue is the most common color after black. They only do one thing but they do it better than almost any other machine, they would sew a bumper to a Buick if it you could get one under the presser foot.
Now, did I give you enough conflicting information? lol. I'll summarize - very good machine, not worth a whole lot.

Cari

leonf 06-22-2017 06:45 AM

Drooling over your Yuba (or similar) cargo bike. Cari gave a good description of the clones, but sometimes location can make quite a difference. Clones are great learning machines if you want to learn how to clean or repair because there are so many around if you break any parts, thought that is pretty unlikely.

bwiggins 06-23-2017 03:37 PM

Thank you Cari! That's kind of exactly what I wanted to here. Makes me not feel so bad about wanting to repurpose the table. I bought the machine and table for $15 so it's likely I'll donate it to a local quilting group or something. Thanks again!

bwiggins 06-23-2017 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 7849259)
Drooling over your Yuba (or similar) cargo bike. Cari gave a good description of the clones, but sometimes location can make quite a difference. Clones are great learning machines if you want to learn how to clean or repair because there are so many around if you break any parts, thought that is pretty unlikely.

Yuba! Yuba Mundo to be exact, we have had it for 3 years and it's still love. I'd recommend them to anyone. I do like to sew but am not looking for another project (yet). ;) I'm thinking I'll donate it to a sewing group or something. Thanks!

leonf 06-26-2017 01:48 PM

I've ridden a Mundo a few blocks, but unloaded. Hardly a test. Glad you are enjoying it. Wishing you thousands of miles on it.