Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need Help Electro Hygiene Shuttle Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-help-electro-hygiene-shuttle-machine-t189151.html)

shelrox 05-16-2012 06:40 AM

Need Help Electro Hygiene Shuttle Machine

1 Attachment(s)
I had found this machine in a thrift store and I am having troubles with the bobbin feed from the shuttle. I am not used to using a shuttle type bobbin and I know it has to be me. I have been able to draw up the thread and that is it. Any suggestions? How can i tell if it is the timing? I am thinking that is it. It is a pretty little machine and I want to get it up and running so I have a more portable machine to use when traveling.

She is cleaner then this picture looks, just the way the light was hitting her. She is spot less inside and there is nothing hitting anywhere as well.

J Miller 05-16-2012 07:32 AM

A couple things.

Make sure the shuttle is clean inside and under the tension spring. Also check the grove the thread passes through.
I had one that was filthy to the point the thread was binding up.

When you put the bobbin in the shuttle, put it in so the thread comes off the left side and up over the top as you put the bobbin in the shuttle with the hole facing away from you. I'm pretty sure that's what I've read, it is what I do with mine.

And check the tension, there shouldn't be a great deal of resistance to the thread as you pull it out of the shuttle.

Joe

jljack 05-16-2012 09:13 AM

Also, to add to Joe's suggestions, be sure you have the needle in the right way. A needle in the wrong position will draw up the bobbin thread, but it won't make a stitch. Try it with flat side to the right, threading left to right, then to the left threading right to left, then flat side to back, threading front to back.

shelrox 05-16-2012 09:31 AM

Thank you both will go get her out and try again, it is a super clean machine, no rust or gunk under the plate or anywhere, just a little service dirt, more then likely from oils off of hands that the dust stuck to. I had read someplace once about the needle but didnt try it. I am determined to beat this shuttle bobbin one way or another..

miriam 04-09-2013 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found an 'electro hygiene' machine recently - Glenn says it was distributed by Royal Vacuum, Dayton so it is a made in Japan badged machine. I'm thinking Muv has a lot of good information and maybe she can be some help figuring the machine out. [ATTACH=CONFIG]407035[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-09-2013 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can barely see it but there is a reverse lever right under the bobbin winder. Maybe a close up will help.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]407036[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-09-2013 05:59 PM

Mine is missing the little cover plate at the top. Wah.
It is kind of a cute little machine - mine cleaned up fine but I haven't test sewn with it.