Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need Help Identifying Green Vintage "Dressmaker" Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-help-identifying-green-vintage-dressmaker-sewing-machine-t248250.html)

tripletware 06-10-2014 06:46 PM

Need Help Identifying Green Vintage "Dressmaker" Sewing Machine

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all. I am fairly new to vintage machines. I saw this machine on Craig's List and couldn't pass up the color and all that wonderful metal. Does anyone recognize it? The two plates on the front say: Dressmaker and Model TAZ Deluxe Zig Zag Family Sewing Machine - Japan. The plate on the back above the serial number (127274) says model number SZ-230. There's a "case" at the top of the machine that looks a lot like it would hold the fancy stitch cams I've seen some vintage machines have on Ebay. I cannot find a manual.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Katrina

mlmack 06-11-2014 04:27 AM

Deluxe Zig Zag Model TAZ or Model SZ-230 is what you want to search for.

I would look here for a manual of a similar machine:
http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...g_Machines.htm

tripletware 06-11-2014 05:17 AM

Mark:

Thank you for the link but I've already searched there and at least a couple other sites. I've looked a lot online and found one other person had the same machine but hers says Universal instead of Dress Maker. Mine came in a nice cabinet that looks 50s/60s. It looks similar to the ones that are just straight stitch/zig zag but it has that odd compartment at the top that looks like a bobbin case but with a rod sticking up through the center. I thought maybe a compartment for cams, it's located where those usually are but the compartment has a see-through door instead of a metal cover.

Thank you,

Katrina

tripletware 06-11-2014 07:56 AM

Need Help Identifying Turquoise "Dressmaker" Sewing Machine

4 Attachment(s)
Hello again. I took some pictures of the back and the compartment at the top that I mentioned above. I'm hoping someone might at least be able to tell me if it's for cams? Are there cams that have a hole all the way through them? I've seen some for Dressmakers that have a cap look to them and there's no opening at the top. This machine has no markings at all on the bottom. The motor says Universal on it. I've added a couple pictures of the compartment opened and closed. Thank you.

Prim Quilts 06-11-2014 08:01 AM

Probably the same machine, just different names slapped on them. From what I understand that was common practice with the machines coming out of Japan. The names really don't mean anything.

tripletware 06-11-2014 08:09 AM

Okay. Can you tell if that compartment is for cams? Thank you.

NapaJohn 06-11-2014 08:38 AM

Yes, the compartment is for cams. Unfortunately, finding the right cams might be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Your Japanese "badged" machine probably has several different names as they were sent out with different names to different retailers. If the other example you found has pictures of its cams, that would be the most telling as to what cams to search for. There are many different cams, with different sizes of holes and even number of pins that turn them. You probably have to try them on to see if they actually fit.

There is a yahoo group called vintagejapansewingmachines that has many pictures where you might find other examples. They also have some generic zigzag manuals for download. You do have to have a yahoo ID to join, but that is free to sign up.

Usually, they're very good machines.

Good luck.

John

tripletware 06-11-2014 01:37 PM

John:

Thank you! I did check the vintagejapansewingmachines Yahoo Group. I searched their messages and photos. I found a couple of people with a very similar machine, different names as you said. One was a White 670 Streamliner (although I've seen another 670 Streamliner that didn't look anything like mine) and another was Hamilton De Luxe Zig Zag machine. All had model TAZ on them. I got a couple of the free manuals too. At least that's better then no manual!

Thank you,

Katrina

luce321 06-11-2014 02:45 PM

I have a Fleetwood which is 59 years old and was made by Necchi. The opening on the top is for the cams. Its a great machine. Hope you can locate the cams for your machine.

tripletware 06-11-2014 05:28 PM

Mine has a knee pedal mounted on the inside of the cabinet. I would prefer a foot pedal. When I take to the shop for cleaning, is it worth asking to see if they can rewire it as a foot pedal? Would it cost a lot of money? Has anyone done something similar?

Thank you,

Katrina