Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need help identifying this striped retro beauty of a machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-help-identifying-striped-retro-beauty-machine-t248022.html)

GroovyEyeDesigns 06-06-2014 10:59 AM

Need help identifying this striped retro beauty of a machine

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I'm new around here, and stumbled upon this board/thread through various other websites, while trying to do some research on a machine I just bought off ebay. It caught my eye instantly, and the fact that it was made in Japan and all metal encouraged me to buy it. However, when it arrived, the stitch length dial was not working and I'll need to have it serviced. When I opened it up, the stitch length dial isn't hooked onto anything! It's just turning freely, without affecting any internal components. I'm not sure whether there's a piece missing, or a mere disconnection somewhere. If it's the latter, I don't see any loose pieces inside at all. Anyhow, being the DIY girl that I am, I wanted to see if I could figure out the problem myself, but I can't for the life of me find a manual for this machine. That's when I found out about "badged" machines from Japan. I was wondering if anyone could help me ID this machine to see what it was modeled after. It's an Emdeko Mark IV...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478150[/ATTACH]

Personally, I'm guessing it dates 70s, from the funky striped pattern. It looks like a solid machine, and I can't wait to get it working... but again, I'll need an y info I can get from you guys to help me ID it.

SteveH 06-06-2014 12:25 PM

good job.

I did some quick searching. there is a machine on EBay that shows the underside that looks like it says JA-023 that would be the indicator of what company made it.

Research says that IF that is the correct # then it was made by Toyota.

There are folks here who know WAY more about these zigzag machines and Japanese machines in particular

Macybaby 06-06-2014 02:43 PM

Don't know much about them - but that is one cool looking machine! And if it is a Toyota, that would be neat. I'd love to get one made by Toyota.

Sunflowerzz 06-06-2014 03:12 PM

Now that is cool! What a great find!

GroovyEyeDesigns 06-06-2014 03:51 PM

I paid $30.00 for it on eBay, so I had to. I love these random finds. :) Glad to be among sewing machine enthusiasts like me. :)

ArchaicArcane 06-07-2014 11:39 PM

I have no info on your machine, but Welcome and darn it all, I wish you'd been around about 2 weeks ago when I was in Montreal looking for someone to go for coffee with and tell me what places to hit for sightseeing after a course. ;)

GroovyEyeDesigns 06-08-2014 07:46 AM

Aw, what a shame, Archaic! It's a splendid city, so you'll have to come back! :)

ArchaicArcane 06-08-2014 11:49 AM

I agree that Montreal was beautiful! Over here in the "wild west" you'd be hard pressed to find much architecture older than about 120 years. I walked down rue Notre Dame and I have to say coming up on the old stone walls of the uh... priest's quarters (? My photo of the grounds didn't include the plaque on the gates and I can't remember what it was and there's not a lot on Google clear enough to read. ;)) attached to the Basillica was like stepping back 300 years into the past. Surreal! I knew the church was coming up, I could see the spires, but the walls snuck up on me.

If it hadn't been raining, I could have walked for hours and looked at the buildings. As it was, I came back with tons of quilting inspiration from the beautiful stone work. :)

GreyQ 06-13-2014 10:49 AM

That's a groovy machine!