Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need Help with a Kenmore 148-13110 please!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-help-kenmore-148-13110-please-t207232.html)

hcoxrn 11-29-2012 08:03 AM

Need Help with a Kenmore 148-13110 please!!!

1 Attachment(s)
So awhile back I bought a Kenmore sewing machine made by Sears model 148-1311. I'm enclosing a picture of it since I think they made over 50 models in 1968!
So this machine is awesome at sewing every stitch except straight! The stitches are super tiny and the feed dogs aren't moving the fabric through when I sew a straight stitch. I have looked at the manual and followed every step but it still makes super tiny almost pinhole stitches. When I put the machine in reverse though it sews a straight stitch perfect! It's so weird.
So I have done all the usual stuff, changing tension, oiling it, taking it apart and cleaning all the lint. It is in incredible shape and I got it for $7, so I am not out a lot if it not fixable. I just think it would be awesome if I could get it to work because it's all metal and purrs when it's turned on.
If anyone knows what to do, I would be so grateful! I think the older machines work so much better and I am looking forward to getting this one working right!

Heather

Candace 11-29-2012 08:50 AM

Triflow and a hair dryer to any areas that may be stuck. It sounds like something is still not working freely. If you don't see any visible gears etc. broken, put some triflow on all metal to metal contacts and maybe a little heat from the hairdryer to free it up.

Milli 11-29-2012 09:01 AM

I have one of those never had a problem with it, it as the best straight stitch an accurate as (-/:!),
do get it going and you will be so pleased.

Landers 11-29-2012 10:21 AM

I also have a Kenmore but one from 1979. I love it. You know Sears has a repair service for our machines. I just took my machine to them. I used it when i am on our ranch in CA so I don't have to pack a machine for the weekend. Sears has fixed my machine and done maintenance at least 2/3 times in the last 10 years. try them.

J Miller 11-29-2012 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by hcoxrn (Post 5687387)
So awhile back I bought a Kenmore sewing machine made by Sears model 148-1311. I'm enclosing a picture of it since I think they made over 50 models in 1968!
So this machine is awesome at sewing every stitch except straight! The stitches are super tiny and the feed dogs aren't moving the fabric through when I sew a straight stitch. I have looked at the manual and followed every step but it still makes super tiny almost pinhole stitches. When I put the machine in reverse though it sews a straight stitch perfect! It's so weird.
So I have done all the usual stuff, changing tension, oiling it, taking it apart and cleaning all the lint. It is in incredible shape and I got it for $7, so I am not out a lot if it not fixable. I just think it would be awesome if I could get it to work because it's all metal and purrs when it's turned on.
If anyone knows what to do, I would be so grateful! I think the older machines work so much better and I am looking forward to getting this one working right!

Heather

Sounds to me like the stitch length control knob ( bottom one on the pillar) is set very close or right on the zero stitches per inch point. I have several machines that will sew itsy tinsy stitches forwards, but when you hit the reverse it goes to max length.

Joe

miriam 11-29-2012 08:53 PM

some times there can be dried up oil on the stitch length control innards - a drop or two of triflow and heat or time might get it free - get a good light and look inside the machine - oil and wiggle the knob - wait then do it again - I've seen that happen a lot

slk350 11-29-2012 08:58 PM

I have an old Kenmore Ultra Stitch 6 and you just can't kill the machine. I cleaned and oiled it when I got it. I use it everyday. If you only paid $7 for it, it would be worth it to have it checked and tuned. I did have a new tension dial put on mine about 8 years ago. Today, after cleaning and adjusting 2 FW's I would probably have done the tension dial myself. Very basic and simple machines. You also can take it to a vac & sew shop that repairs sewing machines. Good luck

mjhaess 12-01-2012 10:52 AM

I have two Kenmores, a 158-18800 and a 158-1941...I found both of them at thrift stores and they are both great machines...Don't give up on it...Fix it if you have to...It will be worth it...

sv aquavit 07-31-2020 12:09 PM

stitch length

Originally Posted by hcoxrn (Post 5687387)

Heather

I had tiny stitches as well. Using advice I found, I used a heat gun on low and some triflow to get decent stitch length. But on max setting -- 8 -- still seems stitches are tight. Can I sew using the basting stitch setting? That is closer to the length I want to use.

DearMichael 03-11-2021 08:13 AM

I was running into the same thing, until I realized that the needle post (pressure regulator) is spring loaded, and has to be pressed down. Mine wasn't, so there was not enough pressure for the feed dogs to move the fabric.
Purchased my unit used with no manual, so it took me a while to figure it out :-)

Hope that's all your problem is too.