Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need information about bobbin# (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-information-about-bobbin-t232903.html)

jan on 446 10-21-2013 08:13 AM

Need information about bobbin#

I recently discovered a Singer 457 in my basement. I have no recollection of ever seeing it! I downloaded a manual but there is nothing in it about what kind of bobbin it takes. I plan on checking it out and getting it working as soon as I can get someone to bring it upstairs (health problems prevents me from lifting and stairs).
I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

cmrenno 10-21-2013 09:25 AM

According to Sewingpartsonline.com it takes Class 66 bobbins.

Good luck with your 457!

Colleen

Shelbie 10-21-2013 09:55 AM

I have a Singer 457 and it definitely takes class 66 bobbins. I wish manufacturers would always print this information in the machine manuals. I've seen so many that don't or say use the bobbins provided with the machine. That's pretty hard to determine if you buy a new to you machine that doesn't come with all of its original parts.

jan on 446 10-21-2013 10:01 AM

Thanks for the information. I am sure I have several of these. My plan is to make sure it is running well and I'll give it to my BBF as she really would like a sewing machine. I got the meter reader to bring it up this afternoon! It runs very well so far. I will be oiling it etc later. Only one foot but if she wants more, they are available. I just wish I knew where it came from! Maybe the gremlins are sneaking them in! I can't believe that I have no idea how it got in my house. I am not a collector of machines. I love the Singer 503 that I bought a couple of years ago as I had to fix my son's boat covers that were ripped and didn't want to use my "good" Janome that is 13 years old. It handled it like a pro! It is my go to machine. I hardly ever use the Janome any more.

miriam 10-22-2013 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by jan on 446 (Post 6360343)
Thanks for the information. I am sure I have several of these. My plan is to make sure it is running well and I'll give it to my BBF as she really would like a sewing machine. I got the meter reader to bring it up this afternoon! It runs very well so far. I will be oiling it etc later. Only one foot but if she wants more, they are available. I just wish I knew where it came from! Maybe the gremlins are sneaking them in! I can't believe that I have no idea how it got in my house. I am not a collector of machines. I love the Singer 503 that I bought a couple of years ago as I had to fix my son's boat covers that were ripped and didn't want to use my "good" Janome that is 13 years old. It handled it like a pro! It is my go to machine. I hardly ever use the Janome any more.

You just have to love meter readers. The day my daughter was born at home the meter reader came. He NEVER forgot her birthday until he died of course. I'm in agreement use the 503 and get rid of the Janome. I did.