Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need manual for Kenmore 117.740! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-manual-kenmore-117-740-a-t269809.html)

bkay 01-24-2022 06:15 AM

From the number you posted, it appears to be a Gritzner, a very fine German made sewing machine. You may purchase a manual from several places. It appears that a service manual is also available.

There is a group on groups.io for old Kenmore sewing machines. They may have a manual in their archives for free. You would have to join, but there is no fee. I don't do Facebook, but there may be a group there, too. The Kenmore group on groups.io is a pretty active group.

There is also a woman who no longer posts here, who has two different Kenmore Gritzners. You might search for her posts on this forum and find some information. If I remember correctly, her user name is kenmoregal.

If this doesn't get you where you need to be, post again.

bkay

ThomasScofield 01-24-2022 06:52 AM

Thank you

Hey thanks for the information I really appreciate that

OurWorkbench 01-24-2022 08:16 AM

The only thing I would add to bkay's post is that I would research the company. I know that there were some sites that manuals were ordered, paid for, but then never received.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

ThomasScofield 01-24-2022 11:23 AM

Parts

Sweet thanks for that, any word on parts and service?

bkay 01-24-2022 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ThomasScofield (Post 8533157)

New parts probably won't be available. They will come from old machines that are no longer repairable in places like ebay or etsy or the like. There's where the groups on Facebook or groups.io will help you. Old sewing machine guys (OSMGs) are getting harder to find. They are usually independent businesses (not affiliated with a particular brand,however, the only OSMG I know in Dallas is a Baby Lock dealer.) They usually can work on any brand of machine and often have a back stock of old machines to rob for parts. Ask the guys on the Kenmore groups.

bkay

OurWorkbench 01-25-2022 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by ThomasScofield (Post 8533157)

A lot of us service our own machines.

Which parts? If you are talking about feet, needles and bobbins, they are available. The feet are what is considered high shank feet. The bobbins are metal class 15 bobbins and the needles are what are available from Joann or Hobby Lobby and many other places. The needles come in various sizes (diameter of shaft) and various points. As far as to which needles you need depends on what you are sewing and what thread you are using.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.