Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   need some help with a White embossed rotary stop motion clutch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-some-help-white-embossed-rotary-stop-motion-clutch-t269306.html)

J Miller 08-27-2015 08:24 PM

need some help with a White embossed rotary stop motion clutch

Thanks to forum member Suzanne57 who stopped by on her way to MI and dropped off a White embossed rotary machine and cabinet I now have one of the spots in my collection filled.

However there is an issue with the hand wheel, stop motion knob and clutch. Does anyone have an exploded drawing, or link to same for that style of machine they could give me. Specifically I need to know if the ball bearing washer goes between the hand wheel and the main shaft or the clutch knob and the hand wheel.

I thought we had a thread here some time back where someone posted a pic or two of these parts, but I can't find it. And I tried doing a search here, but came up empty handed. I'm not good at searches.

PIctures to come.

Joe

OurWorkbench 08-28-2015 04:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 7299715)
>>> I thought we had a thread here some time back where someone posted a pic or two of these parts, but I can't find it. And I tried doing a search here, but came up empty handed. I'm not good at searches.

PIctures to come.

Joe

Joe, that was one of John's first posts http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t264590.html Since you asked specifically about the clutch and I know you have dial-up, I'll post the pertinent information here, too.

*** Clutch or Stop-Motion - When the clutch knob is removed, it exposes some unusual components, most notably three ball bearings in a ring carrier. I was fortunate enough to have read about these ball bearings somewhere and knew of them in advance. It is best to disassemble this with as close to a handwheel-up orientation as possible, so that the ball bearings don't fall out and get away from you.

The clutch assembly may be seen with the clutch knob removed. First the 3 ball bearings need to be removed, then the ball bearing carrier, then the clutch washer. After this, the handwheel can be removed.

It has the normal clutch washer, but with only one tab. The clutch or stop-motion knob turns almost a whole turn, in tightening and loosening, instead of the more common 120 degree range. The ball bearings give it a really smooth feel at the point of tightening. The ball bearings are each 0.187 inches in diameter.

(Handwheel Up) (Knob Removed) (Clutch Parts)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529053[/ATTACH]

Hopefully, this will help. I'm guessing that the 'White' assemblies that have ball bearings are the same. I'm sure John would be willing and better able to help if further info is needed.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

J Miller 08-28-2015 05:03 AM

Janey,

Thanks a bunch. That is the thread I was thinking of, I just couldn't get the right words in the search.

The White Company made machines badged as White, Domestic, Dressmaker, Franklin, Kenmore and I think a couple more. They are all exactly the same mechanically.

On my machine, whoever had assembled the hand wheel before had put the ball bearing washer between the hand wheel and the flange on shaft. Hopefully when I reassemble it the way your pic shows everything will line up.

Oh, and since moving away from IL, we have high speed internet now. Picture size doesn't matter any more. :D

Joe

OurWorkbench 08-28-2015 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 7299875)
>>>
The White Company made machines badged as White, Domestic, Dressmaker, Franklin, Kenmore and I think a couple more. They are all exactly the same mechanically.
>>>
Oh, and since moving away from IL, we have high speed internet now. Picture size doesn't matter any more. :D

Joe

I found that a free Franklin manual had some better instructions & illustrations than the free White manual.I don't remember which machine, but I needed the Franklin manual to be able to thread one of the Whites. It seems that it went through discs instead just a plain guide and I needed to figure out if it came from under and through or over and through discs.

Congrats to high speed. Lucky you - we're still the "slow-ski's":D

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Rodney 08-28-2015 10:33 AM

DSL here. I wish it was a true high speed connection. It's more money than we have to spend though. DSL is cheap and it's a lot better than dial up.
Rodney

J Miller 08-28-2015 11:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I got the hand wheel back on with the bearing washer and flat washer in the right place and it works. Whoo Hoo.
Filled a bobbin, and did some test stitching and the tensions were almost perfect right off. Now to get the machine cleaned up and the cabinet repaired.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529086[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529087[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529088[/ATTACH]

The machine needed only a bobbin, cleaning and oil. The motor also needs a grease pot cap, and I think I have one of those on a spare motor. It also needs a new drive wheel but should be fairly easy to find.
The cabinet joints have become loose, and many of the glued joints have failed. It is repairable though and I'll get to it some day soon.

Joe

miriam 08-28-2015 02:21 PM

Joe, I have one of those for parts. Wilbur broke up metal parts in the bobbin area - stuff went flying. He cried.

J Miller 08-29-2015 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7300341)
Joe, I have one of those for parts. Wilbur broke up metal parts in the bobbin area - stuff went flying. He cried.

OUCH!

Joe