Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need some troubleshooting advice...please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-some-troubleshooting-advice-please-t262499.html)

Divokittysmom 03-11-2015 05:46 PM

Need some troubleshooting advice...please

I have been working on my, 'new to me 1937 FW' since upacking her this morning. I have done a good cleaning out of the old goopy grease and yuck from the inner workings. I have oiled everything and she is running very smoothly and quietly!
The only issue,...I can't sew even 1 stitch! The thread keeps snapping at the needle, upper tension seems fine, bobbin tension is also fine. I have checked for a burr on the throat plate and sure don't feel one. Using a new needle Schmetz 80 and Aurifil thread, got the bobbin winder to work and wound a new bobbin. The thread seems to be getting stuck behind the bobbin case at times. I am stumped and a bit frustrated but I think it's just a bit of adjustment that it needs.
Any suggestions?
thank you

barny 03-11-2015 05:56 PM

Needle flat side goes to the left, thread from right to left. I have messed all day too trying to get mine to quit breaking thread. I thought it threaded left to right, but not mine.

Monroe 03-11-2015 06:09 PM

You are probably sewing merrily by now but if not-Be sure the bobbin is in the case correctly. Insert the needle with the flat to the left and thread the needle from the right. If the needle plate was taken off at some point be sure the base behind the bobbin case has the small finger like projection pointing upwards to fit into the notch under the needle plate. This mis-positioning had me stymied a bit the first time I cleaned up a FW. Have fun!

Divokittysmom 03-11-2015 06:13 PM

Yep! Needle in correctly, threaded correctly and bobbin in correctly. Following the manual to the 'T'. Good luck!

quiltedsunshine 03-11-2015 06:23 PM

Is there a burr on the hook point? Is the hook hitting the needle (not the needle hitting the hook)? Take the needle plate off and see what happens. Is the needle plate on correctly, with the nub centered under the needle plate?

barny 03-11-2015 07:08 PM

If you took the needle plate off. When you put it back on with the screws, LOOK AT THE BOBBIN HOLDER BASE. IT HAS TO HAVE THE CURVED NUB PART INSERTED between the plates that are hooked on the bottom of the needle plate. I know I'm not speaking right, but I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say. I have fiddled with mine all day and finally got it to sewing.

miriam 03-12-2015 12:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]513258[/ATTACH]
That should be what it looks like under the hatch.

Divokittysmom 03-12-2015 09:33 AM

Thanks Miriam, barny and quiltedsunshine for the tips. I'll try them all today and hope for better luck.I really appreciate everyone taking the time to troubleshoot this with me!

Divokittysmom 03-12-2015 10:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few photos of the bobbin area from top after removing the needle plate and from the bobbin area. Just checking to see if all looks correct here.
Thank you for any help.

Divokittysmom 03-12-2015 12:29 PM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! It was the bobbin case not being engaged properly with the needle plate!!! She is up and running and stitching absolutely PERFECT!! That stitch could not be prettier!!SHE WORKS!!! A million thank you's to everyone! I am madly in love with this machine already!! I'm going to have sew much fun playing with my new toy!! YIPPEE!! Thank you again everyone!!!!