Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need a source for electrical wire ( cord ) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-source-electrical-wire-cord-t221134.html)

J Miller 05-29-2013 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
MadCow333,

I found this somewhere when I was having computer trouble and couldn't download or print it. So I hand copied it. It's helped me a bit, hope it helps you.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]416067[/ATTACH]
I'll have to try that unplug, rotate, and plug back in the next time I get a buzz.

Joe

Vridar 05-29-2013 02:30 PM

Joe, just curious. Does the smaller wire have larger individual strands? If so, could a smaller bunch of larger individual strands rate as high as a larger bunch of lesser diameter strands? Just asking. I know a solid copper wire rated the same as stranded wire is smaller in total diameter. Sounds confusing, but I hope it comes across as I desire. Kind of like a 12 gauge is a 12 gauge whether one is 6 shot or 8 1/2 shot. It takes more of 8 1/2 shot than 6 shot to make the same 12 gauge. This analogy probably doesn't equate but is my way of explaining what I'm trying to get across.

J Miller 05-29-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar (Post 6092671)
Joe, just curious. Does the smaller wire have larger individual strands? If so, could a smaller bunch of larger individual strands rate as high as a larger bunch of lesser diameter strands? Just asking. I know a solid copper wire rated the same as stranded wire is smaller in total diameter. Sounds confusing, but I hope it comes across as I desire. Kind of like a 12 gauge is a 12 gauge whether one is 6 shot or 8 1/2 shot. It takes more of 8 1/2 shot than 6 shot to make the same 12 gauge. This analogy probably doesn't equate but is my way of explaining what I'm trying to get across.

Vridar,

Honestly, I don't know. What I do know is I've got lots of wire from decades old to new and most that is marked 18 gauge looks to be the same diameter regardless of how many strands it has. I've never actually measured it though. The other gauges follow suite as well.

And I do understand your 12 gauge analogy. :)

Joe

MadCow333 05-29-2013 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6092330)
MadCow333,

I found this somewhere when I was having computer trouble and couldn't download or print it. So I hand copied it. It's helped me a bit, hope it helps you.

Joe

Yes, that's very useful. :-)

foufymaus 05-29-2013 09:14 PM

Have you tried Codale electrics: http://www.codale.com/ They're a wholesale electric supply company that my dad used when he worked for a the power plant. They do purchasing from them. I'm sure they have what you need and what you might need in the future.

redmadder 05-30-2013 04:49 AM

They are called Chicago plugs? Where can I get them, I have an White Rotary in the octagonal cabinet that needs rewiring. Would so appreciate the info. Thanks for sharing.

nanna-up-north 05-30-2013 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6092330)
MadCow333,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]416067[/ATTACH]
I'll have to try that unplug, rotate, and plug back in the next time I get a buzz.

Joe

Joe, what does it mean when it says, red wire is switched?? (5th quote down) I don't know if this would refer to wiring sewing machines or not but the red wire is positive as well as the black wire. We just remodeled our cabin last summer and I did all the wiring. (DH won't touch wiring..... he saw a guy get fried once on the job) I put in a 220 line for a dryer and the red and black are both hot. So what does it mean when it says, red wire is switched???

nanna-up-north 05-30-2013 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vridar (Post 6092671)

I'm no electrical expert or anything but I think I can offer a little explanation. The thicker the metal strand, the more electricity can flow. Think of it as a road. A small 2-lane road can carry a few cars but an freeway with 6 lanes going both ways can carry a lot more cars.... and trucks, too. Those trucks (large amount of electrical ions) would destroy a small road (road bans in the spring, for example). Electrical wire in a house is one big, fat strand to carry a lot of electrical charge (ions) but the wire used for sewing machines is a lot of smaller strands. A lot of smaller strands is more flexible but since you have lots of strands you can carry the same amount of charge when it is distributed across all the strands. And if one strand blows out, that's not a lot of electrical charge to do a lot of damage.... like burning your house down, etc. Does this make sense? Okay, I'm a physics geek.

J Miller 05-30-2013 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder (Post 6093525)
They are called Chicago plugs? Where can I get them, I have an White Rotary in the octagonal cabinet that needs rewiring. Would so appreciate the info. Thanks for sharing.

I have no idea where to find them. They've been obsolete for decades. Nobody I've contacted carries them and only one person even knew what they were. I need a set too and will gladly post when / if I find a source for them.

Joe

J Miller 05-30-2013 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6093542)
Joe, what does it mean when it says, red wire is switched?? (5th quote down) I don't know if this would refer to wiring sewing machines or not but the red wire is positive as well as the black wire. We just remodeled our cabin last summer and I did all the wiring. (DH won't touch wiring..... he saw a guy get fried once on the job) I put in a 220 line for a dryer and the red and black are both hot. So what does it mean when it says, red wire is switched???

I don't rewire houses, to be honest they scare the crap out of me.
As for the red wire being switched, I've run into several old Singers where the light had two wires. A white one, and a red one. The red wire went from the power source to the light switch. This has been in the old wire that had two individual wires in a tube of outer insulation. The newer stuff with the current type was just ribbed or printed on and still confuses me.

Joe