Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Needle Alignment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/needle-alignment-t257106.html)

Champanier 11-20-2014 02:59 PM

Needle Alignment

1 Attachment(s)
I bought another 201 because it had a knee lever, which I like, was reasonably priced, and looked in good shape. I thought I'd sell the head with a different cabinet. (Now I have three 201s, all with different virtues and don't know which to sell, but that's another story.)

But, although it runs beautifully since I oiled it, as I was turning the wheel by hand just to be sure there were no squeaks, I heard a very quiet tiny tick as the needle entered the needle plate. When I looked, it appears that the needle is barely grazing the very edge of the hole - and also notice that there are marks that indicate this has happened before. I looked at the other 201, which is much older, and it has no marks.

I'm not sure how to fix the needle alignment. I tried a different needle, just in case, but it's the same. I'm using original Singer needles. I'm putting the needle in with the flat side to the left. It doesn't seem to affect the way it sews, but seems like it would dull needles pretty quickly. Is there an adjustment for this?

Thank you!

Here's a picture (haven't cleaned the feed dogs and bobbin yet).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]499710[/ATTACH]

oldtnquiltinglady 11-20-2014 03:10 PM

I am going to watch this post because this happens with one of my FWs. I don't use the machine often enough for it to really bother me, but if you get good answers, I might see about fixing it. Thanks.

tessagin 11-20-2014 03:17 PM

There is a video on maintenance and it's on YouTube. The guy's last name is Arcurri. He was having same trouble with a 401 and had to adjust the alignment from underneath. May want to check that out. The feed dogs weren't over far enough.

SteveH 11-20-2014 03:20 PM

my first instinct is to say check the hole the needle goes into for old crud....

I had a machine that the needle did this. I swapped needles, no effect. Then I cleaned out the needle hole and found a bit of old plating up inside the hole. once that was removed the problem was somved

barny 11-20-2014 03:35 PM

Your light on the needle makes it look like it has the flat side to the right. Is it? That could make a difference.

Candace 11-20-2014 03:39 PM

If the needle is inserted correctly, this could be a sign that the needle bar is bent.

Champanier 11-20-2014 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 6977332)
Your light on the needle makes it look like it has the flat side to the right. Is it? That could make a difference.

Nope, flat side is to the left.

Champanier 11-20-2014 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6977317)
my first instinct is to say check the hole the needle goes into for old crud....

I had a machine that the needle did this. I swapped needles, no effect. Then I cleaned out the needle hole and found a bit of old plating up inside the hole. once that was removed the problem was somved

Great idea! Now that you say that, I had an oddly hard time getting the needle inserted (came without one) - thought it was just late and I was tired, but maybe there was something in the way.

miriam 11-21-2014 03:37 AM

Cover all your bases before you fool with needle alignment. Usually it is some user error of some kind.

Suzanne57 11-21-2014 07:22 AM

I have a cheapie Brother with this problem. It's very noticeable in reverse, in fact, breaks needle in reverse. So will check out the suggestions listed. I only wanted this machine for the blanket stitch.