Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Needle breaks from pin strikes among brands (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/needle-breaks-pin-strikes-among-brands-t298142.html)

smokeythecat 07-09-2018 05:17 PM

My pins tend to get bent from just going under the foot of my 99 so i try to take them out :/ The couple that have gone past have missed the needle

Mickey2 07-09-2018 05:41 PM

They recommend using all metal pins with a small head when stitching over them, and they have to be stitched straight across. The ones with colored heads or pearly shine aren't ideal for some reason. The only times I have bent or broken needled was when I sewed too fast. I didn't know the hinged presser foot had anything to do with this, I thought it was for easing over bumpy seams? I think the oldest 99s with hinged foot are from the 1940s. All 201s I have seen have had the hinged foot. I don't think the flexible needles were common until after 1960, they make all the difference for this. It should be no problen on a 99. I have used the old type Singer needle, pre WWII, you just can't do it reliably with them.

NJ Quilter 07-10-2018 02:42 AM

I'm like Cari - I've always sewn over pins and probably always will. I put the pins in horizontally and rarely have issues. Can't remember the last time I've broken a needle doing this. Have certainly bent a few pins but not that many considering how many I've sewn over, lol. I do try to slow down a bit when encountering the pins.

SewingSew 07-10-2018 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 8091082)
I remember back in the olden days when I took sewing in school we were taught to put the pins in horizontally and to sew over them. I can’t remember if I ever broke a needle. They were the black singers. That part I remember. Don’t know if they were 66s or 15s

In Home-Ec, I was taught to sew over pins too. Old habits die hard.

PamelaOry 07-10-2018 09:50 AM

Appearantly it’s a big no-no with a new brother machine. I sewed over a pin in a class at my sewing machine store and I thought the instructor was going to faint. I got a very serious talking-to about the dangers of sewing over pins from first her, then the owner. Surprised me as I thought it was a common practice.

hav4boys 07-10-2018 10:19 AM

Wow, I did not know this. I always sew over my pins. Never have a problem. Thanks for the heads up.

ckcowl 07-10-2018 11:36 AM

I’ve been sewing over 50 years- I do everything possible to NEVER sew over pins. As I approach a pin I slow down or stop and remove the pin. I don’t know of any machine that was made to sew over pins. You can knock the timing out hitting a pin, you can hurt yourself by hitting a pin ( broken needle can fly- hit you, hurt- cause injury)

themadpatter 07-12-2018 08:29 PM

I'm one of the sew over the horizontal pins trained people. I try to pin so they are outside the seam line now, so I have fewer of those traumatic whacks. I think that slant shanks have more problems with pins.

quiltedsunshine 07-13-2018 05:34 PM

All pins are not the same. If you sew over a big "quilting pin," it's likely to do more damage than an "extra-fine, glass head, patchwork pin." Because sometimes we're concentrating so hard on getting that perfect 1/4" seam allowance, and forget to take the pin out, I recommend the patchwork pins to my students.

Cari-in-Oly 07-13-2018 09:03 PM

Annette those are the two types of pins in the pic I posted above. I really only use the big flower head pins when I'm working on something big or thick like a purse. For everything else I use glass head pins.

Cari