Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Needle help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/needle-help-t224850.html)

frudemoo 06-30-2013 06:18 AM

Needle help!

Having problems with figuring out what type of needle my two Phoenix machines take.

Both machines came with a flat shank needle inserted. Before I got my latest Phoenix, the manuals I had checked say that the machines take a system 1738 needle, which appears to be a round shank industrial needle. I have experimented with these in my Phoenix 250 treadle and haven't had success getting the machine to make a proper stitch.

Now that I have the manual for my 283F, it clearly pictures a flat shank needle, but it still says: system 1738. Am I missing something?? I can't find reference to flat shank 1738 needles online, so I thought I would seek help here. Hope someone can help!

TIA :)
Amelia

Caroline S 06-30-2013 06:31 AM

http://www.universalsewing.com/tek9....=needles_other

You might check the chart in the link above. You could also contact the company as there is a contact link. I have book marked the site for reference.

miriam 06-30-2013 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo (Post 6151569)
Having problems with figuring out what type of needle my two Phoenix machines take.

Both machines came with a flat shank needle inserted. Before I got my latest Phoenix, the manuals I had checked say that the machines take a system 1738 needle, which appears to be a round shank industrial needle. I have experimented with these in my Phoenix 250 treadle and haven't had success getting the machine to make a proper stitch.

Now that I have the manual for my 283F, it clearly pictures a flat shank needle, but it still says: system 1738. Am I missing something?? I can't find reference to flat shank 1738 needles online, so I thought I would seek help here. Hope someone can help!

TIA :)
Amelia

Cathy (mizkaki) has needles and is very knowledgeable about needles.

Mizkaki 06-30-2013 09:14 AM

Amelia,

The 1738 needle system sometimes know as a DBx1/ 287/16x1/or 287 are the same length as a standard household needle/ 15x1. The flat shank needles that came with your machines were probably 15x1s. The difference to you will be in the shank diameter. If the fat/ 2.02 mm shanked 15x1 fits your machine then any DBx1 will fit. If they don't fit then you will need the skinnier shank of the DBx1 which is usually 1.63 mm. I say probably because different manufacturers put them out in different diameters. Organ brand is usually a skinny one.

You said you had problems getting a proper stitch from a 1738. They have to be manually oriented, whereas a flat shank orients itself. Looks like your machine threads front to back. Correct? If so make sure that the long groove of the needle forward.

Talking to River and Fawkes nicely never hurts.

Hopefully that helps,
Cathy

path49 06-30-2013 09:30 AM

I don't like to disagree but, DBx1s are shorter than 15x1s....approx. 1.5 mm shorter. I thought they were & I just compared them...my serger takes DBx1s so I had some to compare.

Mizkaki 06-30-2013 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also hate to disagree, but by industry standards the timing length of both the 15x1 and DBx1 is 33.9mm.
Timing length is from the top of the shank to the top of the eye. Total length can be different due to tip differences.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]421838[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by path49 (Post 6151897)
I don't like to disagree but, DBx1s are shorter than 15x1s....approx. 1.5 mm shorter. I thought they were & I just compared them...my serger takes DBx1s so I had some to compare.

trivia42 06-30-2013 10:02 AM

^ I had the same experience when comparing my Schmetz to Organ needles. Organ's are shorter. I can't tell you why but it's always happened that way, IMHO.

Mizkaki 06-30-2013 10:09 AM

Were you noticing the total length difference or the timing length difference?
If the Organ needle's timing length was shorter it could cause skipped stitches because the point of the hook would then intersect with the needle at the eye and not above it as it should.

Cathy

Originally Posted by trivia42 (Post 6151940)
^ I had the same experience when comparing my Schmetz to Organ needles. Organ's are shorter. I can't tell you why but it's always happened that way, IMHO.

path49 06-30-2013 10:24 AM

I agree...the timing length is the same but a longer tip can cause problems in any machine that doesn't have a vibrating shuttle. Also, it appears that the length difference is a little greater in Organ needles...as compared to the Schmetz.

Mizkaki 06-30-2013 10:30 AM

Yes, the longer tip came cause problems with a rotary hook due to the possibility of hitting the bobbincase. I've seen that with the various tip lengths (different Boye tube numbers) in the 20x1 needles.

Cathy

Originally Posted by path49 (Post 6151973)
I agree...the timing length is the same but a longer tip can cause problems in any machine that doesn't have a vibrating shuttle.