Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Needle hitting...Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/needle-hitting-help-t281726.html)

bonniemanley 08-28-2016 02:14 PM

Needle hitting...Help

Just bought a white singer featherweight, look so clean, only problem is when I turn the wheel the needle hits the bobbin case etc. I have taken the bobbin case apart by removing the two little screws underneath, got the hold case out, removed the threat that was stuck in between. I have put it back but needle still hitting when I go forward. Works fine going backward. Help do I need to take in for service. Was hoping I would not have to do that since is quite a ways from me. I got help from watching a video on how to fix. Any help appreciated.

elnan 08-28-2016 02:22 PM

Replace the needle and see if that helps. It usually does for me.

bonniemanley 08-28-2016 03:50 PM

I did that and still have problem. Something must be out of line.

tessagin 08-29-2016 03:06 AM

Is the needle in correctly? You may have to check with the group that deals with vintage machines

lovelyl 08-29-2016 03:51 AM

Maybe the timing is off. I know it is possible to time a machine yourself, but I have no idea how.

Mickey2 08-29-2016 04:40 AM

Needle is inserted flat side to the left? (threads from right to left). Having it in for service is not a bad idea at all, but I would keep cleaning and tending to it a bit more. I had a 201 with a needle that slightly rubbed against the race (the rotating part the bobbin case is placed on). I thought maybe timing was out, I wasn't sure, and it took me two weeks before I discovered what the problem was:

Behind the needle clamp were a lot of dirt and grime packed into the grooves of the needle bar. I spent some time scraping out the grime with a wooden tooth pick, cleaning the clamp parts and when it was all reassembled again there were suddenly plenty of clearing between needle and race. Enough dirt and grime to put the needle off sync, but my 201 was generally dirty to beging with, nothing really bad though.

It's worth cheking for issues like that, it can take a bit of time and effort. There's help to be found; the service manual for 221 is available as pdf, as well as an adjusters manual; it has very neat pictures of the bobbin parts.

bonniemanley 08-29-2016 11:56 AM

Did that and have broken 3 needles.

Cari-in-Oly 08-29-2016 01:26 PM

There's only 4 possibilities I can think of.
1)needle not inserted all the way up in the groove
2)using the wrong type of needle
3)bobbin case not inserted correctly
4)needle bar height is off

Cari

bonniemanley 08-29-2016 01:36 PM

Mickey2, I have been trying to download the Adjusters manual and it won't work. Just keeps going and going but no pictures. Any suggestions. Thanks

elnan 08-29-2016 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by bonniemanley (Post 7639885)
Did that and have broken 3 needles.

Don't apply power until you know the needle is clearing the case. Use your hand to gently rock the balance wheel back and forth, and stop if you hear that chunk that is metal contact.