Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Needles and Attachments, for a Grover & Baker? . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/needles-attachments-grover-baker-t272609.html)

SewMachines 11-23-2015 07:48 PM

Needles and Attachments, for a Grover & Baker? . . .

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks to Glenn I was able to get my G&B 9 up and sewing, yipee!!

I was amazed at the needles I found in a small pin wrap in the drawer. The machine had a notched Domestic style needle in place, but it didn't sit very centered in the needle hole. Went digging for the other needles and pulled out ones marked Wheeler & Wilson, Weed, and Domestic (and one odd slightly shorter stubby one). The Weed seemed to fit nicely and is what I am using to sew with.

In the drawer was what seems to be a complete hemmer/binder attachment set. I thought it belonged to the G&B machine until I tried to put it in place on the machine bed. I also tried them on my Weed and W&W8 and they didn't seem to be the glass slipper fit either. I am hoping someone might recognize these and let me know if they go to this machine or belong to another oldie.

I love the mystery of these old machines!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536407[/ATTACH]

Here is the hemmer in place. Just not right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536408[/ATTACH]

Thanks!

Suzanne

SteveH 11-23-2015 07:52 PM

Unfortunately, mine are for the curved needle earlier machine... looks like the one you have would adjust to correct though..

Rodney 11-24-2015 06:40 AM

Very nice!
Rodney

Macybaby 11-24-2015 07:59 AM

that looks like a "universal" mounting system, are you sure you can not adjust that long bar so it moves around in the larger square piece? Basically rotating the end where the screw is so it' in the upper far corner of the box.

Freaky_Quilts_Dragon 11-24-2015 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 7385595)
that looks like a "universal" mounting system, are you sure you can not adjust that long bar so it moves around in the larger square piece? Basically rotating the end where the screw is so it' in the upper far corner of the box.

Hmmm, now that you point it out, I think I see how it might work.

SewMachines, does the narrow bar part that the bed screw holds onto slide in the bigger rectangle part? ('Narrow bar part' and 'bigger rectangle part' are very technical terms, aren't they :P ?)

SewMachines 11-25-2015 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think you folks are on to something! I keep forgetting that there was no one correct way to do anything back then. Yes, it slides and looks like it can be adjusted to fit. I need to fill my bobbin to give it a go, but here it is adjusted (not square, like I thought) and appears that it would work.

Hopefully things will quiet down after the holiday so I can play some more.

Thanks everyone!

Suzanne

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536496[/ATTACH]

Freaky_Quilts_Dragon 11-25-2015 01:21 PM

Very neat! It's so cool to see attachemts that you've never seen before!