Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Needles for White Rotary Treadle 1917 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/needles-white-rotary-treadle-1917-a-t181242.html)

ArizonaKAT 03-01-2012 07:34 AM

Needles for White Rotary Treadle 1917

Can anyone tell me what size and where I can find needles for my 1916-17 White Rotary Treadle? I found an esay quilt pattern I'm going to attempt on the machine.

Charlee 03-01-2012 12:45 PM

Kat, It's either going to take the 15x1 or the 20x1 needles...does the machine have a needle in it that you can compare to a modern needle?

Carie 03-01-2012 06:30 PM

charlee, thanks for the info on the needles - the l5 fits just fine. I'm planning to take it to Pigeon Forge in 2 weeks to the Quiltfest rather than take the Brother machine. Thanks again, Carie

Whigrose 03-01-2012 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT (Post 5021600)
Can anyone tell me what size and where I can find needles for my 1916-17 White Rotary Treadle? I found an esay quilt pattern I'm going to attempt on the machine.

ArizonaKAT,
I see charlee already helped you out with the needle size. I recently aquired a 1913 White Rotarty (Miss Sophie). Can't tell you why but she is the gal that stole my heart. Remember, she drives backwards -meaning instead of pulling the hand wheel toward you, you will be pushing it away.

Have you sewn with her yet? I positively love this gal.

This weekend she is going to be the producer of a tiny quilt for a tiny chair (which I need to paint first). I'm looking forward to spending time with her.

best,
d

ArizonaKAT 03-02-2012 06:21 AM

Miss Dorothy (as I call her because of her cute little oil can that reminds me of the Wizard of Oz) came with a needle. I got her running and did sew a few striaght lines with her using the needle she came with. But I'm getting ready to actually attempt to sew a small quilt with her (as soon as I get the backs on the three tops I already have finished) so I thought I'd check into new needles.

It's good to know I can use modern needles. I'll just take the one I have off and go to the store. Do you think I can pick it up at Walmart or do I need to go somewhere like JoAnn's?

Thanks everyone for your help!

J Miller 03-02-2012 09:36 AM

ArizonaKAT,

From my limited experience, the Walmarts around here sell Singer needles. Singer needles are inconsistent as to quality.

I'd suggest JoAnns and Schmetz needles. I have all kinds of brands we've picked up here and there and I use them all. But when I get serious about what I'm making I use the Schmetz needles.

Also do not loose that needle you took out of the machine. I have a 20 something vintage Newhome Greyhound that needed a new needle. The one it looks just like a 15x1 but it's a 1/4" longer. A 20x1 works. The original needle still has the Greyhound emblem on it.

Joe