Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   New Home Vintage Sewing Machines Club (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-home-vintage-sewing-machines-club-t62186.html)

quiltingweb 10-20-2012 06:58 PM

I figured out the timing for my New Home Light Running treadle today. It didn't have a bobbin case when I got it, so I really didn't know if it would ever sew. It was locked up when I got it. The rods and bushings in the bottom of the machine were not moving. After taking it apart and soaking the parts in PB Blaster, I put it back together.

Using a picture I took before I took it apart, I adjusted the bobbin "spinner". It took a little tinkering, but it is now sewing. It still needs a proper belt, but it's working. I have a rope in place of a leather belt and it slips a bit, but it's working well enough to try it out. I'm so surprised that I was actually able to get it to work. I had serious doubts for this machine for such a long time.

miriam 10-21-2012 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5600490)
I figured out the timing for my New Home Light Running treadle today. It didn't have a bobbin case when I got it, so I really didn't know if it would ever sew. It was locked up when I got it. The rods and bushings in the bottom of the machine were not moving. After taking it apart and soaking the parts in PB Blaster, I put it back together.

Using a picture I took before I took it apart, I adjusted the bobbin "spinner". It took a little tinkering, but it is now sewing. It still needs a proper belt, but it's working. I have a rope in place of a leather belt and it slips a bit, but it's working well enough to try it out. I'm so surprised that I was actually able to get it to work. I had serious doubts for this machine for such a long time.

You may find over time that you do not need to take a machine apart so much just to clean it.

sherian 10-21-2012 05:43 PM

It looks like it is in great shape, very good, enjoy

quiltingweb 10-21-2012 06:57 PM

I haven't had to do this since. Other machines have not been so locked up, but at the time, nothing I did loosened it up. I tried everything that was suggested and finally I just decided to take it apart. I took the whole rod out of the bottom between the gear and the bobbin spinner. I knew everything in the machine moved at least a little, but this rod did not move at all. I soaked the whole rod in PB Blaster for about a week before I got it to move even the slightest. After I got the rod out of the bushings, I had to polish it a bit with steel wool and cleaned the inside of the bushings out as well before I could get it to move smoothly without hanging up. I learned a lot with this machine!

One thing I love is that it is so LIGHT! I can hold it easily with one hand while settling it back onto its pins in the cabinet. It's a great machine now. Quiet and smooth running. I just wish I had more than one bobbin. It doesn't hold a lot, so I find myself stopping to wind a bobbin more often than with other machines.

Barb

cabbagepatchkid 10-22-2012 06:55 PM

How do I get the faceplate off?

6 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of "before" and "after" pics of my New Home.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the faceplate comes off or not so would love to hear from someone who has this same machine. It's a Series A. I can't seem to find anyplace where it would come apart.

The flat metal part on top is the tension! You tighten or loosen the screw to adjust the tension. I really love the Maas metal polish. Even though the metal pieces still look old they are now as smooth as a baby's bottom :D

quiltingweb 10-23-2012 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371884[/ATTACH]Oh Cathy, it's beautiful! There has to be a way for it to come apart. While most of my machines have a screw on the left end that holds the face plate on, my Whites both have a screw that is to the right of that part of the machine that holds it all together.

cabbagepatchkid 10-23-2012 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5606213)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371884[/ATTACH]Oh Cathy, it's beautiful! There has to be a way for it to come apart. While most of my machines have a screw on the left end that holds the face plate on, my Whites both have a screw that is to the right of that part of the machine that holds it all together.

I'll have to check it out. I know that there are two screws on the same side as yours, but near the bottom instead. I was afraid to undo them in case the needle bar, etc just fell right out onto the table....lol! Thanks!

quiltingweb 10-23-2012 09:15 AM

One thing that has saved me several times...I take pictures of things before I take them apart...helps me figure out how to put them back together!

cabbagepatchkid 10-25-2012 06:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
O.K. I took the plunge and decided to see if I could get the face plate apart. There were six screws on the right side of that area. Once I unscrewed them the face plate came right off. The insides looked a LOT different and less complicated than all of my other machines!

cabbagepatchkid 10-25-2012 06:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more....some 'before' and 'after'. The long skinny rectangular thing is the needlebar.