Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   New to me....1957 Singer 99K (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-me-1957-singer-99k-t180196.html)

Yamaha_Mama 02-21-2012 01:28 PM

New to me....1957 Singer 99K

I just picked up a Singer 99K for $20. It worked before I tore into it....but it was filthy. I have is apart and followed Billy's suggestions of cleaning it. The only problem is I can't seem to get the bobbin lifter, the feed dogs and the hook out. There is gobs of black gunk that I have been steadily chipping away. I took out the screw in the center of the bobbin lifter (although I am not sure that was the right thing to do), and the small screw under the hook as well as the screw under the machine that supposedly holds the feed dogs in place. Still after a kerosene soak, and WD40, I can't get the pieces to budge. Any suggestions?? Thanks, Marilyn

J Miller 02-21-2012 01:49 PM

Marilyn,

You do not want to remove the oscillating hook unless there is just no other way. If you do you will have to re-time the machine.

The feed dogs are held in with one screw passing through the shaft it's mounted to from the right to the left as you sit in front of the machine. Taking that out won't cause any problems. If the feed dogs won't come out, double check to make sure you removed the correct screw.

The bobbin carrier will come out when you lift up and pivot the bobbin carrier latch. They are sometimes a pain in the behind to get out, but they will come out.
The screw in the middle of the bobbin lifter only holds the springy tab on. The bobbin latch is mounted to the machine with a long pin locked down by a set screw from underneath. Put the screw back in.

You may have to resort to some stronger chemicals than just plain kerosene. I use Hoppe's #9 gun cleaning solvent and various brushes. It is mostly kerosene but with enough other chemicals to make it work very well on sewing machines. And if you get some on the surface it won't hurt if you wipe it off quickly.

Joe

Bennett 02-21-2012 03:39 PM

Try here: TFSR manual

This is my go-to for 99/66 model Singers. Lots of pictures and detailed instructions.

miriam 02-21-2012 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett (Post 4995947)

This is my go-to for 99/66 model Singers. Lots of pictures and detailed instructions.

I like that manual too. Very helpful. So sad that you thought you had to dis-assemble the machine just to clean it.

grayhare 02-21-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett (Post 4995947)

Wow, lots of information! Great for a newbie like me. Thank you.

Yamaha_Mama 02-21-2012 07:38 PM

Thank you for all your responses. Also, thanks for the link. That is exactly what I needed. From the gunk that I have been getting out of this machine....I am wondering if the previous owner oiled it with 30 wt motor oil!!!

coloradosky 02-21-2012 11:38 PM

Thank you ever so much for this thread. I have been contemplating removing the bobbin holder from my 66 Red Eye just for cleaning. I too was unable to remove it. Very helpful info. Thanks again.

Yamaha_Mama 02-22-2012 10:55 AM

Update!! Thanks again for all the advice and links. This morning as I was making my tea, after again soaking the lower bobbin area overnight with no avail..I was struck by the idea to use boiling water. I heated a pot of water and slowly poured it in the lower bobbin area near the feed dogs. The hot water softened the gunk between the feed dogs and the bracket. It was pretty yucky. I just finished cleaning them, the bobbin carrier and all around the hook...without taking it out. Thanks again. I think I am ready to put this puppy back together. Wish me luck that I don't end up with extra parts!!

miriam 02-22-2012 11:05 AM

if you get too much 'varnish' off it can rust - I think you might want to get it very dry after getting it wet - glad it worked for you

k9dancer 02-23-2012 05:05 AM

Next time you might want to try a hair dryer instead of boiling water. Heat=good; water=rust.