Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   A new Pfaff 230 is coming home with me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-pfaff-230-coming-home-me-t298806.html)

Friar_Tuck 08-09-2018 06:36 PM

A new Pfaff 230 is coming home with me!

http://www.do-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?dobid115/118/6

Not sure if this works, but I will try to post a link.
Heading out in the morning to pick it up. I know nothing about Pfaff cabinets, is that cabinet a Pfaff?
Thanks
Jim

Steelsewing 08-09-2018 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Friar_Tuck (Post 8108727)
...is that cabinet a Pfaff?

Maybe someone knows the answer to this, but it 'seems' as if both Pfaff and Necchi used the same cabinet maker?
This one is very typical of a mid-50's early 60's Pfaff. There may be an identifying stamp or plate inside the cabinet indicating that it was made for them. (Some Necchi's have such). Those 'Danish styled' bulky square drawer pulls are a dead giveaway. Put me in a room full of sewing machine cabinets and it's the ones with that exact 'look' that I'll want to open first. =) Looks like a lovely piece - just, you know, throw out that can of 3'n1.

luvstoquilt 08-10-2018 04:59 AM

Beautiful! Looks like a “work horse”.

Cari-in-Oly 08-10-2018 08:29 AM

Yeah, what Jim said. Throw out the 3in1, and that gives you a clue that you'll have to do some serious cleaning inside the machine. What a great find!

Cari

Friar_Tuck 08-10-2018 08:43 AM

Just picked it up and am very happy so far. Everything that came with the machine in March of 1957 is still with it, right down to the test piece of cloth from Pfaff. Not sure why it is, but it seems that every vintage machine I buy comes with a bottle of that dang oil, which makes me think that as much as we now know of much better oils, these old beauties were kept alive for us with a steady diet of 3in1. All of the controls are free, even the ZZ dial. Now to get him home and cleaned up!

Cari-in-Oly 08-10-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Steelsewing (Post 8108753)
Maybe someone knows the answer to this, but it 'seems' as if both Pfaff and Necchi used the same cabinet maker?
This one is very typical of a mid-50's early 60's Pfaff. There may be an identifying stamp or plate inside the cabinet indicating that it was made for them. (Some Necchi's have such). Those 'Danish styled' bulky square drawer pulls are a dead giveaway. Put me in a room full of sewing machine cabinets and it's the ones with that exact 'look' that I'll want to open first. =) Looks like a lovely piece - just, you know, throw out that can of 3'n1.

I think it was just the 'modern' look of the time. I have a pair of identical cabinets that are very similar to that one. One held a Sew Mor Japanese machine and I can't remember what was in the other one but it was probably a Brother. I always wanted to have a big enough sewing room to put them back to back in the middle of the room, but now have changed my mind and will probably rehome them.

Cari

Friar_Tuck 08-10-2018 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow! This is a first. It was threaded, with a piece of cloth under the pressure foot, and when I plugged it in it sewed like a dream. Having all the paperwork oil can, etc etc made me feel like I opened a time capsule to 1957.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]599254[/ATTACH]

Jingle 08-10-2018 02:08 PM

Very nice. 3 in 1 oil worked then and didn't seem to ruin the old machines. All they had at the time. Lighter oils are relatively new.

Steelsewing 08-10-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Friar_Tuck (Post 8109029)
Wow! This is a first. It was threaded, with a piece of cloth under the pressure foot, and when I plugged it in it sewed like a dream. Having all the paperwork oil can, etc etc made me feel like I opened a time capsule to 1957.

That's a real find.
My first Rocketeer came that way. Cloth under the needle, all the ephemera, cam sets, the works.
So rare that it happens like that. Enjoy it.

bkay 08-10-2018 03:31 PM

Congrats on the score! It looks like a great machine.

bkay