Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   New to QB - New Featherweight Owner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-qb-new-featherweight-owner-t251244.html)

ApronandThimble 08-02-2014 06:10 PM

New to QB - New Featherweight Owner

Hello Everyone!

I just purchased a 1938 Singer Featherweight and plan on cleaning her up and using her as my primary machine. I signed up on the Featherweight Yahoo Group and Cecilia recommended that I also come over here to say hello.

I just got my baby and have not cleaned her up yet. She needs a serious spa treatment but I think she will be fabulous when finished.

I took a ton of photos of her, with lots of closeups of problems to fix and filthy areas to clean. I also took close ups of her very rough case, and her "mish-mash" of random accessories. So as not to bombard the board with a bunch of photos, I started a flickr page for those who are interested in seeing my dirty girl. Here is the link for those interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/126621717@N06/

I would be interested in any comments, observations, or advice on cleaning and restoring my new baby. I want to take my time and get her set up the right way, but I also can't wait to sew all kinds of fabulous things with her.

Thank you in advance and I look forward sharing and learning with all of you!:o

Tartan 08-02-2014 06:15 PM

Congratulations on your new to you Singer Featherweight!

Suzanne57 08-02-2014 07:22 PM

Welcome to the board! Your case looks much better than both of mine. I get to replace latches and handles as well as glue/replace/whatever the fabric covering.

Jennifer23 08-02-2014 11:23 PM

Welcome to the board, and congratulations - your Featherweight is in lovely shape! I also liked the Flickr page. For reference, I think that was about the right number of pictures for people's tastes around here. :)

ApronandThimble 08-03-2014 06:06 AM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Jennifer23, good to know about the picture count!:thumbup:

Hopefully, I can start getting my baby cleaned up today. I have people here putting insulation in my attic so part of my house is "blocked off" for now.

I will add some "after" pictures once I get her cleaned up.

I heard kerosene is good to use on really filthy spots. Is that true? What do you all use to clean your babies?

Rodney 08-03-2014 06:34 AM

Welcome aboard! We usually just use sewing machine oil. It won't harm the finish and is usually all that's necessary. I haven't tried kerosene. Maybe others will comment on it.
Rodney

KLO 08-03-2014 06:34 AM

Welcome from NC and congratulations on the new acquisition. She actually doesn't look too bad for her age. Seems like the handles on those cases are one of the first things to go bad. Guess it's from all the handling. Good luck with her.

NikkiLu 08-03-2014 07:35 AM

Welcome to the QB - can't help you on cleaning your Featherweight because my DH bought me one a couple of years ago and it was in perfect condition and had a spool of thread on the top and bobbin thread and I just plugged it in and it PURRED and sewed perfectly!!! Lucky me.

Bobquilts 08-03-2014 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ApronandThimble (Post 6829773)
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Jennifer23, good to know about the picture count!:thumbup:

Hopefully, I can start getting my baby cleaned up today. I have people here putting insulation in my attic so part of my house is "blocked off" for now.

I will add some "after" pictures once I get her cleaned up.

I heard kerosene is good to use on really filthy spots. Is that true? What do you all use to clean your babies?

Kerosene is the safest way to clean her... NEVER use ANYTHING containing alcohol.

tessagin 08-03-2014 08:20 AM

Congratulations! Looks to be in good shape. And to have attachments and anything else. Great photos by the way! ANd Welcome to the board! We learn so much from each other and welcome your input!