Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   New Royal Treadle Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-royal-treadle-sewing-machine-t273269.html)

ladydukes 12-13-2015 10:21 AM

New Royal Treadle Sewing Machine

6 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]537955[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537956[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537957[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537958[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537959[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]537960[/ATTACH]

I just acquired a New Royal Treadle Sewing Machine in a cabinet (pic included)It is from the Illinois Sewing Machine Company in Chicago, IL. Model number is 296160. Patent number on the slide plate is June 29, 1897. The decal has a picture of an Indian Chief with the words "New Royal Is Chief." It came with three shuttles and three bobbins. I plan to let my son refinish the cabinet.

Whatever info anyone has on this machine is greatly appreciated! I've done all the research I can, and haven't come up with much info. I would Love to find an instruction book for it, as I have no idea how to operate or thread a sewing machine with a shuttle.

Macybaby 12-13-2015 10:56 AM

From Sewmuse -

Royal was in business 1884 to 1890
Became Illinois Sewing Machine Co in 1895
became a subsidiary of Free 1898- 1924

I'm almost positive I have a manual for this - and once the building is done DH is going to start scanning the manual collection. Plan on posting them on SteveH's site, and he believes they should be available for free downloads.

Caroline94535 12-13-2015 11:27 AM

That is a beautiful machine and cabinet. I am so pleased for you. Enjoy!

May I whisper my first thought? I'd remove that pin rag. To me pin rags make sewing machines look as though they are being strangled to death. It's so simple to keep a cloth/wool pin cushion loose near the arm of the machine. It's just a "thing" of mine.

tessagin 12-13-2015 12:07 PM

You Tube has videos on threading and operating treadles with the shuttles. Beautiful cabinet and machine. Anxious to see when your son is finished. Have fun!!

Rodney 12-13-2015 12:33 PM

Beautiful machine and cabinet! I love the treadle with the name cast in.
Congrats on getting it.
rodney

KLO 12-13-2015 01:48 PM

What a great find! It is a beautiful cabinet and will probably be even more beautiful when your son is done with it. I don't think all three bobbins/shuttles are for that machine. Don't know which one(s) is but the bottom bobbin looks just like my Singer 128 bobbins with little pointy ends. Cathy (Macybaby) probably knows and can help you on that. Did you get any history on the machine .... such as who owned it, where it came from, where is has been, etc. ?

sewbeadit 12-13-2015 02:18 PM

Great setup, happy for you on this great find. As Rodney says the treadle peddle with the name cast in is cool and makes it a "complete" outfit!

SunlitenSmiles 12-14-2015 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 (Post 7402687)
That is a beautiful machine and cabinet. I am so pleased for you. Enjoy!

May I whisper my first thought? I'd remove that pin rag. To me pin rags make sewing machines look as though they are being strangled to death. It's so simple to keep a cloth/wool pin cushion loose near the arm of the machine. It's just a "thing" of mine.

agree completely with the above...but check for something other than pins...like a sewing machine needle or two (unbent) might even be different sizes, this is where my Grandmother stored the needle when switching to different size. for the record, this is not a bad habit I repeated for my generation.

Rodney 12-14-2015 06:51 AM

It looks like one shuttle is backwards to the other two. My guess is they're for different machines.
Try them and see which one(s) work. Also see if there are any markings on them to indicate what they fit.
Rodney

ladydukes 12-15-2015 09:56 AM

I sure hope Macybaby has a manual to share! How do I get to SteveH's site? Also, any idea what needle fits this machine, and if it is a special needle, where I can purchase them?