Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   New toy! Jones Family CS hand crank - need parts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-toy-jones-family-cs-hand-crank-need-parts-t258368.html)

bennie0755 12-17-2014 07:28 AM

New toy! Jones Family CS hand crank - need parts

2 Attachment(s)
I acquired this beauty yesterday. She was bound up, but a little oil has everything working again. Small issues. The thread guide that goes on the bottom of the front cover is missing. I also need a new bobbin tire. If anyone knows where I can get parts I would appreciate it.

A final question. The two thread spindles are bent pretty good. Should I try to straighten them, or can they be replaced?

I know this group knows all there is to know about these babies. I appreciate your help.

J Miller 12-17-2014 08:00 AM

Oh that's a nice machine. Joey likey!

You can straighten the spool pins if you do it slowly and gently. I use the hole in the end of wrench to bend them back in place. You might have to give them a tap or two to reseat them after you straighten them though.

The bobbin tire can be had at you LSMS or Sew-Classic.

Joe

Macybaby 12-17-2014 10:47 AM

I assume one should remove the spool pins before trying to bend them. I've seen a few machines that look like someone tried to bend something in place - and the weak part happened to be the area of the machine around the hole.

KLO 12-17-2014 11:19 AM

Beautiful machine! I never find machines like that near me but sure glad you did. Looks like you have gotten answers to your questions. Love the Board for that!

miriam 12-17-2014 02:47 PM

Joe, that is a big bobbin tire - SC might not have one that big. plumbing supply?

KenmoreRulesAll 12-17-2014 02:47 PM

I love these machines! I want one and have been looking for a reasonably priced one in my area for months. I don't think it's going to happen.

Congrats on a great find. Such a beautiful machine. :)

bennie0755 12-18-2014 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 7011458)
Oh that's a nice machine. Joey likey!

You can straighten the spool pins if you do it slowly and gently. I use the hole in the end of wrench to bend them back in place. You might have to give them a tap or two to reseat them after you straighten them though.

The bobbin tire can be had at you LSMS or Sew-Classic.

Joe

Joe. Thank you for the help. I'll check out Sew Classic. It seemed harder to find the Jones parts for some reason.

Cathy. Do these spool pins screw in or are they pressed in?

Also.. Curiosity question. Why did some of these older machines have two spool pins. I'm really new at this and still have tons to learn...

miriam 12-18-2014 05:43 AM

if you have 2 spool pins you can wind your bobbin and sew at the same time.

bennie0755 12-18-2014 05:44 AM

[QUOTE=KenmoreRulesAll;7011940]I love these machines! I want one and have been looking for a reasonably priced one in my area for months. I don't think it's going to happen.

Yep. Reasonable was not the price. I can admit that. But I've been looking for an original hand crank. And with a maiden name if Jones I just had to buy it

Rodney 12-18-2014 02:18 PM

That's a beauty!
Rodney