Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   New vintage featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-vintage-featherweight-t184093.html)

12yearrquilt 03-26-2012 06:48 PM

New vintage featherweight

What is the first thing you do to a featherweight upon acquiring one? I have purchased a couple and do not know what to do first. I plan on using one for quilting and getting one ready for my Grandaughters birthday . I want to get them so I can sew with them.

Charlee 03-26-2012 07:10 PM

The first thing I do? I thread them, plug them in and see if they sew!! Then I dust them off, grab the manual and oil all the points that the manual tells me to oil. Ok...so I'm telling a fib...I don't use the manual, I just oil everything that I see that moves.
Just remember with these little gems, that if they are plugged in, there are ON! If you leave the machine, unplug it. When you turn the light on or off, that's all you are doing is turning the light on or off...the machine will sew no matter what as long as it's plugged in.

masufa 03-26-2012 07:40 PM

I leave the light on my FW and just pull the plug from the machine, that way I know it is off or on.

Daylesewblessed 03-27-2012 04:10 AM

Clean it, oil it, and give it a good test run. See how you like the stitches, adjust the tension if necessary. Do a decent amount of sewing, so that you get a feel for the controller and motor working together. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Dayle

J Miller 03-27-2012 05:54 AM

When I get a new to me Featherweight or any machine for that matter I:

>Look it over good to see if anything is missing and it's safe to plug in.

>Thread it and see if it will sew.

>If it sews then like Charlee, I oil everything that moves. And then sew with it some more.

>Start the cleaning process "IF" I think it needs it. Some machines are clean enough to use when you get them, others are not.

>I firmly believe in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto.

Joe

12yearrquilt 03-27-2012 08:38 AM

Thank you. I read somewhere on this board that someone used Dupont extra fine polishing compound on the outside and she then posted pictures. I can't find this infor now. I have a 7 year old grandaughter that wants to sew and I thought this would be a good machine as it doesn't sound like a lot goes wrong with them. I also juse returned to quilting and need a lighter machine. Again, Thank you for the info.

sunkistmi 03-28-2012 06:50 AM

I am so jealous (in a good way). FW around here are way in the stratosphere as far as price goes. I keep saying that if the good Lord wants me to have one, it will happen. Am I bad if I REALLY hope that He does want me to have one? LOL. Patience is supposed to be a virtue. They seem like such wonderful little machines, especially if traveling. Congratulations to all the lucky 'parents'.

Monroe 03-28-2012 05:22 PM

I don't know that polishing compound would be safe on the decals.

Wine Woman 03-28-2012 06:03 PM

First off I totally agree with Charlee please make sure it is cleaned and oiled it will run beautiful. Also it's been noted to oil after 10 good hours of use, continuing to be oiled keeps them quiet and happy. I have used GoJo hand cleaner without pumice to clean up the finish and it doesn't hurt the gold. This was recommended by another board member from the Vintage Machine area. Then after cleanning oil it with liquid gold liquid and it will shine so beautiful! I have also used machine oil and it will do the same thing but I feel the liquid gold makes it shine just a bit more.

Do a search if you haven't already there is quite a lot of information on the board. Congratulations! Once I got my first one I couldn't stop. I have adopted 7, all different but very special and rescued two(from being orphans) that I'm parting with. Having twins is too much work! Enjoy your Featherweight!

stampinteresa 03-28-2012 07:08 PM

JMiller. I like your advice about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I was given one that looks almost brand new and worried if I should take it apart for cleaning etc. It sews wonderfully. I tried out three of the several attachments. Wonderful. Cleaned out dust bunnies around bobbin area and under needle. Anyone with advice feel free to pm me. I want to use it but want it to be ok. Thanks, Teresa