Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Newest adoptee - Singer 328K (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/newest-adoptee-singer-328k-t217412.html)

J Miller 03-28-2013 08:34 AM

Well, then lets look this thing over. According to the serial number, this is a first year production machine, 1963. If the switch was dropped from the model, other machines with the switch should have come before this one.

So .... was that a cost cutting thing, or did they add the switch later - or, were those switches added by the LSMG for the owners later?
My theory is that the switch was added later as the manual I downloaded from Singer shows the switch.

At any rate, this is the only machine I've got that does not have some form of switch for the light.

I do believe I may add one in the near future.

Joe

Mizkaki 03-28-2013 10:53 AM

Joe,

I have had quite a few of these pass through my hands. I haven't had any with a light switch. I didn't know they ever came with one. I learn something day.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5960480)
Well, then lets look this thing over. According to the serial number, this is a first year production machine, 1963. If the switch was dropped from the model, other machines with the switch should have come before this one.

So .... was that a cost cutting thing, or did they add the switch later - or, were those switches added by the LSMG for the owners later?
My theory is that the switch was added later as the manual I downloaded from Singer shows the switch.

At any rate, this is the only machine I've got that does not have some form of switch for the light.

Joe

J Miller 03-28-2013 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cathy,

Hmmmm, that is very interesting. Here is a scan of the picture page for the owners manual I downloaded for the machine. It was date coded; 664.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]404958[/ATTACH]

I marked the switch in red.

Now I need to find a picture of one with the top off so I can figure out how to do a factory like installation.

Joe

Mizkaki 03-28-2013 06:02 PM

Joe,

Thanks for the picture. I have a friend with a few of these. If they have the switch I'll get an inside picture for you.

Cathy

Now I need to find a picture of one with the top off so I can figure out how to do a factory like installation.

Joe

J Miller 03-28-2013 06:40 PM

Cathy,

Thanks. I'm sure it's fairly simple, I just want it to look right if I do it.

Joe

frudemoo 03-29-2013 02:06 AM

I've got one too! No light switch.
I haven't had time to start cleaning and investigating my 328P (made in Penrith, NSW, Australia) but it does 'go' and it has the signature "tractor" sound. I'm curious to know if they ever sound much better than that, as when I was researching the machine a couple of people had made a comment about it. I also learned that they have the slot to be converted to treadle, which is what sent me madly trying to find a treadle table to mount it in - and instead I ended up becoming a mad collector!! Hee hee.
But I am fascinated by the 328 and would love to know how you go with yours, Joe. I didn't really want to pay to have it professionally serviced because I don't really need it for sewing and (more importantly) I wouldn't learn anything THAT way!
Cheers,
Amelia

J Miller 03-29-2013 03:36 AM

Amelia,

I cleaned mine internally then oiled, oiled, oiled, and greased it. It was bone dry. It is noisy to a point, but all of our Singer ZZs from the 50s on up are noisier than their Japanese contemporaries. I think it's just the nature of them.

Mine is electric, but I also went for it because it can be treadled. And because it uses cams for the decorative stitches, no internal cam stack or mechanism. We have a full set + of flat cams so anything we want is basically at hand.
Some point this coming year I'll set it up in a treadle and see how it works out. But for now it's sewing away as an e-machine.

Oh, and the more you use them, the quieter they get ... to a point. They are never really quiet.

Joe

J Miller 03-29-2013 03:38 AM

Amelia,

You're pic didn't come through.

Strange about the light switch. I wonder what the variation is or was between those with and without the switch.

Joe

Mizkaki 03-29-2013 08:42 AM

Joe,

In a nut shell here is my theory on this. Singer put out a 'cheap' machine without a light switch. The Singer stores and techs started complaining. Singer then added the switch. Probably it was to save face, since they realized that it was hurting their reputation.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5960480)

Joe

J Miller 03-29-2013 08:46 AM

Cathy,

I suspect you are right. That makes a lot of sense.

Joe