Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Newly aquired 301a; bobbin case not dislodging from rotary hook assembly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/newly-aquired-301a%3B-bobbin-case-not-dislodging-rotary-hook-assembly-t236761.html)

diane9617 12-15-2013 08:42 AM

Newly aquired 301a; bobbin case not dislodging from rotary hook assembly

The machine is running but has been stored for a long time in a basement will little attention. It needs a good cleaning then oiling. But it isn't real dirty so won't take much to clean. My problem is that the bobbin case won't come out. It has a bobbin in it and the machine did sew stitches when I tried it out. I noticed the thread from the bobbin area has a little rust every so often on it. I have pulled all the thread out and am lifting the latch on the bobbin case and it won't come out. It rotates like it should but just won't pull out. Think the bobbin is rusted to something? I have put sewing machine oil in there and tried to work it loose. And I have tried wd-40 and still wont' come out. Any and all suggestions are welcome! I can't wait to get this machine up and running!

Candace 12-15-2013 09:14 AM

Don't use WD-40 on your machine. Now you'll have to clean any areas you put it on. It will gum up eventually. You should get as much of it out of there as you can with a rag and get some Triflow oil or Kroil. You may have to let it sit for a few days. If that doesn't work on releasing the bobbin case there are other products that deal with rust specifically, that would be my next option.

ThayerRags 12-15-2013 09:21 AM

Make sure that the needle is up when you try to remove the BC.

CD in Oklahoma

diane9617 12-15-2013 09:29 AM

Can I get Triflow or Kroil locally? Auto parts store or hardware store?

Candace 12-15-2013 09:41 AM

Bike shops usually carry it(Triflow) or you can order it online from Sew Classic.

Rodney 12-15-2013 09:57 AM

I'm not familiar with the 301A. On some machines you can remove the ring surrounding the bobbin area and take it apart that way. Will yours let you do that?
Rodney

diane9617 12-15-2013 11:21 AM

I don't think it will let me take the ring off first.

ThayerRags 12-15-2013 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I’d give it another shot of sewing machine oil and let it set for a couple of days. If the BC is rusted onto the latch pin in the shuttle assembly, it may take a little while for the oil to wick inside. If you haven’t already, remove the needle plate so you can drizzle SM oil down into the bobbin case from the top. I had one on a 221 that come loose after an oil soak.

Can you post a photo of yours?

CD in Oklahoma

J Miller 12-15-2013 03:09 PM

Here is a question, why do so many machines seem to have rusted up bobbins, bobbin cases, hooks, and other parts when the rest of the machine is clean and free of rust?

I've had several of those. It's a mystery to me.

Joe

path49 12-15-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6458216)
Here is a question, why do so many machines seem to have rusted up bobbins, bobbin cases, hooks, and other parts when the rest of the machine is clean and free of rust?

I've had several of those. It's a mystery to me.

Joe

The thread that's on the bobbin absorbs moisture from the air.