Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   NFBeacon Sewing Machine Information (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/nfbeacon-sewing-machine-information-t221504.html)

daroundy 05-14-2013 03:41 PM

NFBeacon Sewing Machine Information

I am looking for some information regarding a NFBeacon treadle sewing machine. It was purchased at Houghton and Dutton 55 Tremont Street in Boston, Ma. Also states the machine was manufactured expressly for and sold exclusively by Houghton and Dutton. The store itself was open between 1870-1930.
I do have the booklet and it also lists a Albion treadle sewing machine. Across the front of the machine it says NFBeacon and is in a 5 drawer oak cabinet and the machine operates with a chain mechanism to open and close. The description says the finest drop head machine, style No. 44--drop head. Price is listed as $21.98. The serial number is 1802229. When ordering parts the booklet mentions it was a Minnesota Class C sewing machine. It was my wife's grandmothers' machine. It works very well and has all sorts of attachments with the name Greist on them. I was wondering who the machine was actually manufactured by and what the year was. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. Darrell

jlhmnj 05-14-2013 05:47 PM

Hi Darrell,

Sounds like your describing a Davis sewing machine made in Dayton, Ohio. Albion and Minnesota C are both names Davis used on their machines. The Minnesota C was a full sized leaf tension machine sold by Sears from 1904-1919. Davis used "Albion" on quite a few of their models. Davis would stencil whatever name the buyer wanted on a sewing machine with the purchase of 5 machines or more. I'd be curious to see a pic of your sewing machine to verify. Not a lot of info out there on Davis Underfeeds. Enjoy.

Jon

daroundy 05-15-2013 11:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]413691[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]413688[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]413689[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]413690[/ATTACH]

daroundy 05-15-2013 11:44 AM

Here she is....can't believe it is in such great shape and sews so well. Darrell

jlhmnj 05-15-2013 12:25 PM

Darrell--

Very nice. The family history and booklet is great.

Your NF Beacon is a Davis early "Model D" made c.1910. It differs from the Minnesota C but uses the same needle, shuttle, and bobbins. Davis' bread and butter after 1900 was making these "badged" machines for mail order and department stores. They also made a "Vertical Feed" which is much loved by quilters using the old machines and consists of a walking foot with needle feed.

The old girls with some love and a little oil last forever. Planned obsolescence wasn't factored in when made. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Jon

daroundy 05-15-2013 02:28 PM

Jon, Thank you so much!!!! Awesome. My wife is tickled pink. Would you happen to know what size needles to purchase and where we could get them? We have some needles, but would like to know if we need to where to get
some. Again thank you so much for the information. Darrell

jlhmnj 05-15-2013 03:30 PM

I believe your early Model D's used a Davis long needle and the later ones used the common 15x1 found everywhere. You can check to see if it's the Davis long by measuring an existing needle that sews and it should be a little under 2". For occasional sewing a tube of Boye 10 (NOS) needles from ebay or perhaps someone will have some for sale from the QB will work. For frequent sewing I'd recommend MTx190 industrial needles which are slightly different (round instead of flat on one side) than the originals but do the job and are inexpensive. I have a later "D" which is motorized and in a bentwood case and uses 15x1's but the needle size is marked on the front slide plate.

Very cool to have a 100 years of family history in your NF Beacon.

Jon

daroundy 05-15-2013 03:48 PM

Very good, again thanks so much, Darrell

PBtreadles 07-13-2021 06:17 PM

N.F. Beacon treadle sewing machine

Can you tell me how old my machine is?
the serial number is 887059

I would like to restore it, but I need to do more research before starting.

Thank you in advance.

leonf 07-14-2021 05:49 AM

Welcome PB treadles. Unless your machine is a beacon too it would be best to start a separate thread. Also a brand would be very helpful and pics if you shrink them.