Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Nice find at a friend's sale (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/nice-find-friends-sale-t249952.html)

GreyQ 07-11-2014 12:28 PM

Nice find at a friend's sale

5 Attachment(s)
This was a friend's Grandma Mabel Boettcher's machine. Mabel was married to my office manager's Grandpa's brother. Yes, this is a small town and nearly everybody is related to everybody else. Paula uses her other Grandma's machine and this one has been sitting in the sunroom for many years. The cabinet is in good shape but the finish is worn which is ok. The machine just needs a little cleaning & oiling. It moves freely but I haven't plugged it in since I want to do some more cleaning & let the oil soak in. The cabinet drawer has the original motor lubricant. Do you think it's any good? 2 packets of nice darning needles. It has a little stool that needs recovering. It had a bunch of damp denim scraps. It rained a little this morning so I think that's when it got damp. I have the attachment box drying. It needs a new power cord but the other cords look really god and are soft & pliable. Also needs a new bobbin winder rubber wheel. It's a 1952 Singer 15 AL244619. $25

GreyQ 07-11-2014 12:31 PM

The cabinet matches my 66-16 cabinet I think.

SteveH 07-11-2014 12:31 PM

That is really really nice looking!

GreyQ 07-11-2014 12:41 PM

The glass for the lamp is in the stool. The attachments box has the little screwdriver. Paula is going to keep an eye for the manual but it may be gone. Just couldn't pass it by. Now I have to find a place for it. It's in my office now. It's not fancy but I think it will be a fine machine. Yes, the bobbin case is there. Excited about the English darning needles, Green Oak & Harper's War Pack needles in very good condition. There's a needle with a circle loop at one end in the Green Oak packet. One needle in the Harper's packet is rusted & small packet of hand needles is rusty so I think the has been water exposure at some time but there's no rust on the machine that I've found so far.

liking quilting 07-11-2014 02:47 PM

Oh, you do have the best luck! Love the look of the machine & the cabinet! Way to go.

Macybaby 07-11-2014 05:50 PM

I do believe the machines "call" to each other, and once you get a few, more just seem to turn up begging to come home with you!

I love that cabinet. I have two stools that match, but no cabinet LOL!!

GreyQ 07-11-2014 05:59 PM

It does match my 66 cabinet! I don't have a stool for that cabinet. I'd beg one from you but I don't think the stool is all that comfy to sit on. :p:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 6796783)
I do believe the machines "call" to each other, and once you get a few, more just seem to turn up begging to come home with you!

I love that cabinet. I have two stools that match, but no cabinet LOL!!

Rodney 07-11-2014 06:02 PM

You did really well for $25. I have the same cabinet but mine got "antiqued" at some point with a nasty streaky yellow paint. Why anyone would want to cover up nice walnut like that is beyond me.
Rodney

Skyangel 07-11-2014 06:52 PM

I have that same cabinet (it's no.56) with one of my 301s. I don't have a stool, would love to have one. I paid $50 for mine. Great find!

solstice3 07-12-2014 04:55 AM

Very nice!!!