Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   not my "cup-o-tea" but someone MUST want this cool machine!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/not-my-cup-o-tea-but-someone-must-want-cool-machine-t237514.html)

SteveH 12-27-2013 10:58 AM

not my "cup-o-tea" but someone MUST want this cool machine!!!

http://stockton.craigslist.org/atq/4202176046.html

ThayerRags 12-27-2013 11:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I think that ad should say “Portman” instead of “Postman”. It looks like a machine that was designed by the Portman Sewing Machine Company, and sold by National as a “Model J”, I believe....

I have one badged as a Montgomery Ward, and it’s called a “Model N-50” if I recall. My machine isn’t where I can get it out of the case and look at it right at the moment.

I removed the motor on mine in preparation for doing a little experimenting with treadling it in my MUTT. I thought the freearm would be great for darning (to mend denim jeans). I was fiddling with trying to treadle a Bernette 203 serger using the same treadle top (flat with just two belt holes in it), got hung up developing the serger application, and never even tried the Portman for treadling. Then, something else came up, and I never got back to either project....

CD in Oklahoma

Rodney 12-27-2013 07:54 PM

If only it was closer and less money.....
Rodney

lovelyl 12-28-2013 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 6476847)
I think that ad should say “Portman” instead of “Postman”. It looks like a machine that was designed by the Portman Sewing Machine Company, and sold by National as a “Model J”, I believe....

I have one badged as a Montgomery Ward, and it’s called a “Model N-50” if I recall. My machine isn’t where I can get it out of the case and look at it right at the moment.

I removed the motor on mine in preparation for doing a little experimenting with treadling it in my MUTT. I thought the freearm would be great for darning (to mend denim jeans). I was fiddling with trying to treadle a Bernette 203 serger using the same treadle top (flat with just two belt holes in it), got hung up developing the serger application, and never even tried the Portman for treadling. Then, something else came up, and I never got back to either project....

CD in Oklahoma

MUTT??? Could you explain? I feel kind of stupid right now...

ThayerRags 12-28-2013 05:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
MUTT (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle) is a nickname for a stripped down treadle that can be transported easily (mainly to sales booths at events) and has the smallest possible foot-print to not take any more space than is absolutely necessary. Mine has multiple tops with different cutouts for different machines to use the with same treadle stand.

I also have a MUTTIN (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle - INdustrial) that is an industrial-size treadle set up for the same purpose, but for larger machines.

CD in Oklahoma

Edited to add: I should add, that there is an earlier term coined by the TreadleOn Group, called a MUT (Multi-Use Treadle) that has been around longer. The MUT is a treadle stand that typically has either a single top with a large cutout using multiple inserts to accommodate different machine types, or has multiple tops that can be changed out. In most cases, the large sewing area of the top is preserved, and not trimmed down or abbreviated. While some owners do travel with their MUT, the unit may not have been set up specifically for traveling purposes like a MUTT or MUTTIN.

CD in Oklahoma

lovelyl 12-28-2013 05:51 AM

Thanks for the explanation! My DH wants to put 4 treadle bases (irons?) together with one large top over all, and a cutout for a different treadle machine above each set of irons. Definitely a MUT, but not portable!

ThayerRags 12-28-2013 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl (Post 6477861)
..... put 4 treadle bases (irons?) together with one large top over all, and a cutout for a different treadle machine .....

That sounds like it will be a good setup. Anne Kusilek (aka DamascusAnnie) in Wisconsin (then Texas, then back in Wisconsin) has one like that. There’s a photo of it in her Photobucket.

Did you get your inspiration from hers, or elsewhere?

CD in Oklahoma

amcatanzaro 12-28-2013 08:35 AM

That table is a thing of beauty.

lovelyl 12-28-2013 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 6478083)
That sounds like it will be a good setup. Anne Kusilek (aka DamascusAnnie) in Wisconsin (then Texas, then back in Wisconsin) has one like that. There’s a photo of it in her Photobucket.

Did you get your inspiration from hers, or elsewhere?

CD in Oklahoma

Thanks for the pic - that is exactly what DH has in mind! Can't wait to show him the pic. I think he came up with his idea without seeing a pic, but not sure.

Candace 12-28-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6476800)

LOL, I saw it listed for $30 about a year ago. Looks like the same machine? But, it sold before I could get to it. Maybe the buyer could n't repair it and decided to make a profit?