Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Oh Dear. I See Financial Ruin Ahead. Maybe? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/oh-dear-i-see-financial-ruin-ahead-maybe-t254784.html)

DonnaFreak 10-04-2014 05:25 PM

Oh Dear. I See Financial Ruin Ahead. Maybe?

Howdy y'all :)

I went today and picked up the little 1960's Singer child's sewing machine, and the man took my lower offer of $25 for it! I'm so hoping that my DGD Lily takes an interest in it! I'm thinking that as curious as my DGS Max is, he might actually be just as interested in it, if not more so, than Lily! But at not quite 5 years of age, he's probably just a bit too hyper to let him operate a machine with moving sharp objects just yet. But if I tell him he has to wait until he's 7, he'll by DYING to use it by then! LOL! (I'm SUCH a sneaky Mamaw!)

I had told the man that I would be there around 1:00 because the morning would be taken up hitting yard sales and the Farmer's Market. So as he was plugging in the little machine he asked, "So you like to go to yard sales too, huh?" When I told him yes, he sort of sheepishly said, "I'm retired, and it's become my hobby to buy old sewing machines and fix them up." He said this without even knowing that I'm a quilter! I just stood there for a second like a deer in the headlights. I finally was able to squeak out an inquiry as to what he had. His eyes brightened and he got out of his "Yes, I'm a man who plays with sewing machines" stance when he realized I wasn't going to make fun of him. LOL! We stood there for a couple of minutes talking machines, and thanks to all of you who post so generously here on this board, he could tell that I knew just enough to have a keen interest. :D. He said, "Well come on and let me show you what I've got!"

Now tell me folks...who was I to say no? I mean...me meeting him was quite OBVIOUSLY meant to be! Right?!? I think I've found a "pusher" to feed my budding addiction. Hence the future financial ruin. Not to mention that all of y'all are enablers too!

I'm sorry I can't tell you the model numbers of all the machines, but there was a pretty blue and white National in a cabinet, a really pretty black Singer with all the decals (he said all he knew about it so far is that it's a 1930's model) that has a cabinet he's refinishing, a brown Kenmore machine/cabinet, a blue Singer/cabinet he wasn't sure of the model number on yet, and a couple of treadle machines.

But there were two that grabbed my attention. One was a Singer 401A, complete with all attachments and cams! It was in perfect condition other than a scratch on the base of the wheel side where a screw wasn't totally screwed in on the case latch when he bought it. The other machine was a 301A in a cabinet! He hasn't started working on it yet, but will soon. He said he'd have to have $125 for the 401A because of the work he put into it. He said he'd sell the 301A and cabinet for $80 when it's ready to go.

I want both of them! I'm really wanting an electric machine in a cabinet so I'm definitely interested in the 301A. Plus the fact that it's not ready yet and Christmas is coming up means I don't have to worry about paying for it right away and might be able to get Christmas out of the way first is appealing. And let me also mention that in our immediate family we have 6 birthdays AND Christmas in a 5 week period! But on the other hand, I don't have a vintage machine that does anything but straight stitch and one that also zig-zags. Until we move to a bigger place after the first of the year, I don't have anywhere to put a cabinet either. And I'm REALLY interested in learning to use those cams with the 401A too! AAARRRRRGH!!! Which should I choose?!?

(Sorry to have written a book.)

Donna

Rodney 10-04-2014 05:31 PM

Put a down on the 301. That's a great price and if it just drops in the tray even better. It will be a while before you see a 301 like that again.
Rodney

Macybaby 10-04-2014 06:02 PM

Hehehe! That 301A is going to be a very nice deal when it becomes available - and probably the 401A too.

I have to be careful going places like that with my husband. They would have found kindred spirits, and I'd have to drag my husband away. Get him talking about working on older sewing machines, and he's set for hours! (not that I mind, though).

These vintage machines are cheap enough you'll never suffer financial ruin - you'll suffer from lack of room!

foufymaus 10-04-2014 06:45 PM

My heart says go with the 301 LOL Although if I saw the 401 I'd be on that like a bad rash. Of course I lucked in to my 401a for $10.

Cari-in-Oly 10-04-2014 07:22 PM

I'm with the others. Go for the 301. Personally, I'm not fond of the 400/500 series of Singers. Those are my flip machines.

Cari

miriam 10-05-2014 06:19 AM

For all the work he's put into his machines he is selling them dirt cheap. When you get one for $10 expect to have to get something to move. That takes time and some know how.

Caroline S 10-05-2014 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6915650)
Put a down on the 301. That's a great price and if it just drops in the tray even better. It will be a while before you see a 301 like that again. Rodney

Ditto Rodney. I had the same thought. We are such enablers, are we not?

costumegirl 10-05-2014 08:46 AM

Both are great deals!! I agree with Rodney and perhaps you should consider the 401 especially since it has llots of attachments and cams - smile pretty and put some $ to hold them both!!

tessagin 10-05-2014 09:12 AM

Repeating myself but I am so enjoying my 401a ind the desk cabinet. I paid $150.00 with attachments and cams. DH likes using it also.

wolph33 10-05-2014 10:26 AM

Wow lucky you for finding an enabler, have fun when you get you babies.